Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Frunk Group Buy - MS Refresh LR/Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the install intrusive or require splicing wires? Also, do they have partners for installations? Thanks.
No splicing wires. You will need to remove the frunk and the latch. The rest is basically plugging in connectors, routing wires, attaching the latch release to the existing latch, and attaching the latch motor and control box. They have step by step instructions.
The install is easily reversible.

Reactions: Rbats
For those yet to install, I found what I think is the perfect spot to mount the control box under the left apron. This location and position allows for easy access and firmware updates via the micro SD card slot.

Attachments

• IMG_6557.jpeg
    IMG_6557.jpeg
    619.6 KB · Views: 143
I don't believe so. They have an excellent install video on Youtube (I'm pretty sure it was linked previously in this discussion) that covers everything. The original design did require accessing the 12V battery and adding a wire directly to the + terminal but even in that video they showed the updated version that ties in via the fuse box.

I see you are in Chicagoland so a bit far for me to help you but perhaps there are others in the area who could help out. I'd certainly be willing to provide advice/assistance to anyone near me - central New Jersey - who might be a little hesitant to do this themselves.
Not sure to what variant you are referring, but (i) EV offer does not have a video for variant C (refresh version), and (ii) variant C does not tie into a fuse box (to my knowledge, there is no fuse box on a refresh MS. Their instructions for variant C contemplate sourcing power from the jump post under the frunk, which does not involve splicing and is completely reversible. Alternatively, if one does not like the idea of sourcing power from the jump post, one could tap into a non-switched circuit (others have done this for other accessories that require constant power).

Plan on 2 - 3 hours. I thought it would take me less time the second time but this design is different from the last so it took 2 - 3 hours both times for me. they do have a good step by step instruction online.
They do for the newer variants but I'm dealing with a pre-facelift RWD car so the only guide is a video from 2020. And this kit has some significant changes/upgrades from what is shown in the video.
The biggest difference is they appear to have changed the latch "motor" design from a simple but sizable brick to a much smaller unit of an odd shape that now has a manual emergency release cable. I'm not entirely clear on whether this can just be tucked into the same fender space they show in the video or not nor how to route the emergency release.

Try recording a video if you can. Will help others considering buying-in.
I will do my best to document the process but not sure if I'll be able to do a full video or not - don't want to make a 3 hour project into 5 hours to manage the camera. I will take pictures at least of any critical issues if they arise and post a summary once I'm done.

One quick update - While I won't get to the install for at least another day or two, I did reach out to EVOffer with a couple questions I already had given the updated parts compared to what is shown on the install video - remember, I'm dealing with variant 1 for a pre-facelift car. They got back to me with answers as quickly as possible given the time differences. Between that and the very high quality feel to all the components and the great packaging, I'm quite impressed so far.

They do for the newer variants but I'm dealing with a pre-facelift RWD car so the only guide is a video from 2020. And this kit has some significant changes/upgrades from what is shown in the video.
The biggest difference is they appear to have changed the latch "motor" design from a simple but sizable brick to a much smaller unit of an odd shape that now has a manual emergency release cable. I'm not entirely clear on whether this can just be tucked into the same fender space they show in the video or not nor how to route the emergency release.
Mounting the latch motor is a pain in all variants. In previous variant I mounted mine behind where the front grille would be. Last install was on my Plaid and I mounted it to structural beam similar to the online instructions. Most important is to make sure the bend radius of the release cable is not small.

One quick update - While I won't get to the install for at least another day or two, I did reach out to EVOffer with a couple questions I already had given the updated parts compared to what is shown on the install video - remember, I'm dealing with variant 1 for a pre-facelift car. They got back to me with answers as quickly as possible given the time differences. Between that and the very high quality feel to all the components and the great packaging, I'm quite impressed so far.
Their support is outstanding. The online videos should be correct for your car except for maybe the emergency release cable.

Reactions: JLC13
Status
Not open for further replies.