Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Frunk Group Buy - MS Refresh LR/Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great video -- thanks for this. I'm going to tackle my installation this weekend -- it looks super simple (other than fiddling with the latch like some members have had to do).
Yeah, overall pretty straightforward. I did have to adjust the latch up and down a bit to get the hood to latch and sit right. After you secure all the wiring in place, make sure you put the frunk tub back in first and test how it closes before putting everything else back. I made the mistake of putting all the covers and carpet back, and then when I did a final test, the frunk would pop back up at the end and not latch, so then had to take everything out again. I ended up having to shift the latch up a couple mm and then it latched correctly.

I installed mine yesterday. It took about 2 1/2 hours but I took my time. Now that I have installed one, I could do it in 45 minutes or less. All in all, it is very straightforward with the information others have supplied in this thread. If your frunk fits well from the factory (like mine did), then make careful note of where the latch sits height wise. When re-installing after attaching the EVOffer latch, just mount it in the same place. If you need to make adjustments to the latch once installed, you only need to remove (i) the emergency release plastic housing inside the frunk, and (ii) the front trim that covers the latch. You can reach the two 10mm bolts and adjust as required without removing the carpet or frunk tub. Between properly aligning the latch up and down and adjusting the two bump stops on the sides of the hood, you should not have any up and down movement after the frunk is closed. If you do, then it is not adjusted correctly.

So far I am satisfied, but (i) wish the struts allowed the frunk to be manually closed, and (ii) wish the frunk easily stopped / reversed if it encounters resistance when opening -- EVOffer confirmed to me that it will stop, but I applied some resistance to the frunk when opening and it did not stop. I didn't dare applying more resistance for fear of bending the frunk.

• Informative
Reactions: WiLz
I installed mine this afternoon. When people are saying they cannot "manually" close the frunk, I'm slightly confused.

When I pull on the latch (i.e. pull directly down on the latch while the trunk is open), the struts have enough play in them that the frunk begins to go down. After a little pull (say, six-eight inches or so) the motor engages and the frunk continues down as usual (automatically, latching etc). I can share a video of me doing so - DM me.

I don't push all the way down (the motor takes over before I could) but I can certainly "manually" close it (without having to use the app/in car frunk button). Or are people hoping to completely manually/push-all-the-way-down close, like it was pre-install?

Special thanks to @WiLz for your install video. It was fairly straightforward but your video was great for the parts I just wanted to double- and triple-check.

Last edited:
Reactions: WiLz
I installed mine this afternoon. When people are saying they cannot "manually" close the frunk, I'm slightly confused.

When I pull on the latch (i.e. pull directly down on the latch while the trunk is open), the struts have enough play in them that the frunk begins to go down. After a little pull (say, six-eight inches or so) the motor engages and the frunk continues down as usual (automatically, latching etc). I can share a video of me doing so - DM me.

I don't push all the way down (the motor takes over before I could) but I can certainly "manually" close it (without having to use the app/in car frunk button). Or are people hoping to completely manually/push-all-the-way-down close, like it was pre-install?

Special thanks to @WiLz for your install video. It was fairly straightforward but your video was great for the parts I just wanted to double- and triple-check.
Hmmm, maybe they sent you different struts. When my frunk is open, if I put downward pressure on the top of the frunk (i.e. like you would have closed it prior to installing this kit), it doesn't budge. If I were to force it, I anticipate that either the struts would break or the frunk would bend / kink.

Reactions: Spyderman09
Hmmm, maybe they sent you different struts. When my frunk is open, if I put downward pressure on the top of the frunk (i.e. like you would have closed it prior to installing this kit), it doesn't budge. If I were to force it, I anticipate that either the struts would break or the frunk would bend / kink.
Very possible and that's a reasonable conclusion. I got in on the group buy relatively late. I had been chatting with EVOffer through telegram and they just confirmed that I have a different revision strut (don't know if it's newer or older, though).

I did test the resistance and even with my version of struts, there is quite a bit of resistance you need to put to stop it from closing. So much so that I also thought it was going to bend the frunk. But it did eventually hesitate/pause/reverse. Not something I'd do unless it was an emergency though - would probably just let it close and re-open given how worried I was it was going to bend.

Overall though, I'm not sure how I hadn't installed this sooner. This is how it should have come from factory, and has already increased my usage of the frunk 3x just since install (I never wanted to use it prior because of the pushing with my palms always left oil/prints until the next car wash.

Very possible and that's a reasonable conclusion. I got in on the group buy relatively late. I had been chatting with EVOffer through telegram and they just confirmed that I have a different revision strut (don't know if it's newer or older, though).

I did test the resistance and even with my version of struts, there is quite a bit of resistance you need to put to stop it from closing. So much so that I also thought it was going to bend the frunk. But it did eventually hesitate/pause/reverse. Not something I'd do unless it was an emergency though - would probably just let it close and re-open given how worried I was it was going to bend.

Overall though, I'm not sure how I hadn't installed this sooner. This is how it should have come from factory, and has already increased my usage of the frunk 3x just since install (I never wanted to use it prior because of the pushing with my palms always left oil/prints until the next car wash.
Hmm... My guess is they are sending you a newer version of the struts, as my hood won't close/budge at all with any type of force.

That being said, it does seem the newer one behaves differently when encountering resistance - see my video below. You can stop mine from going down quite easily. I am guessing it's a software issue as I believe your struts are softer (hence allowing manual movement), which in theory should allow it to measure resistance more easily for the reversing of strut operation.

One thing you should also try is to open the frunk and see what resistance level it will take to stop it from opening. Mine doesn't stop at all, on any resistance.

Admin note:
In order to be fair to existing official Vendors (paying advertisers) who help support the site, all group buys coordinated on TMC should be with existing Vendors. If you would like to arrange a group buy with a business that is not a TMC vendor, please encourage them to become one.

Status
Not open for further replies.