Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power frunk issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone I'm new on this forum just picked up my 23 MYLR. so first mod i did was add a power frunk, i got it to work a few times but after about a day it stops working. as of right now i can close it with the app, But then the power frunk mechanism seems to over pull the hood down. So when i use the app to open it , I can hear the latch unlocking but nothing happens. So i pull the emergency cable which release the hood a little and when i use the app ill open. it must be some alignment thing but i have been aligning it for 4 days now. Is there a program method or anything anyone knows. This thing came with no instructions so I've been following YOUTUBE videos. Install was easy but the whole alignment part is CRAZY....I need Help Please

You need to adjust the tension on the pull wire from the pull actuator to the main latch assembly. You need to adjust the steel wire from the "pull" actuator assembly to the main latch assembly.
Your current setup puts too much tension or no tension at all.
Also, it is supposed to pull more (over pull by your definition) and than come up to the normal height.

You need to adjust the tension on the pull wire from the pull actuator to the main latch assembly. You need to adjust the steel wire from the "pull" actuator assembly to the main latch assembly.
Your current setup puts too much tension or no tension at all.
Also, it is supposed to pull more (over pull by your definition) and than come up to the normal height.
i notice that it stop letting the hood come up. the soft close seem to have stop also. so when i first in stall it or when ever i pull the emergency cable the steel cable you are talking about releases all the slack. so what i have to do is press the button on the ecu and ill pull the cable tighter. how loose or tight should the cable be? thank you for your help by the way

bummer. I guess this tells me I don't need one more automated thing to possibly break. I'll lift it manually. Hope you get it resolved.
It’s really not that bad provided you set the adjustable latch to the correct height. The auto frunk was probably the best upgrade I did to the car and now use the frunk all the time. Doing something like this as noted ”with no instructions“ is a certain failure. If you have no instructions Don’t Start the install!

I finally got the instructions. I know for a fact that I mechanically installed everything properly it’s the ecu programming part that’s not much help. They finally sent me instructions.

Attachments

• C6F88D30-ECC1-48D3-820A-66E2D579B082.png
    C6F88D30-ECC1-48D3-820A-66E2D579B082.png
    979.9 KB · Views: 155
I don’t know … I installed the EVOffer product and my wife uses it literally multiple times every day. (She owns a tea room/cafe and she makes at least one trip a day to the local markets for fresh produce.) She got used to the automatic frunk lid opener and couldn’t believe that Tesla was manual close.

So I totally gave up on this product. I bypass the suction motor for the soft close. I removed it but kept everything else on. Everything works fine except when closing I would just manually press down and latch it. Like when I first bought the car. Other than that it unlocks auto opens and closes the hood down till the latch sits above the latch. I also got half my money back since the product was only used half way. I’m just going to leave it. Till a better system comes along.

So I totally gave up on this product. I bypass the suction motor for the soft close. I removed it but kept everything else on. Everything works fine except when closing I would just manually press down and latch it. Like when I first bought the car. Other than that it unlocks auto opens and closes the hood down till the latch sits above the latch. I also got half my money back since the product was only used half way. I’m just going to leave it. Till a better system comes along.
I would find that annoying. For me, the opening part I wouldn't mind being manual. It's the manual closing part that is a pain in the ass.

Most people look at these frunk kits as simply hardware and forget that it also needs software to operate it. The only company that I am aware of that is always on top of the software side is EVOffer - the same kit mentioned by @WNC-MY above. On the hardware side, things vary as well and there are different qualities of components. I'm all for buying Ali stuff to save some bucks but I would be leery to buy something like a power frunk/trunk kit which is very intricate and can need future support. For those of you that have owned a Tesla long enough to remember the update that introduced car-wash mode, I contacted EVOffer shortly after carwash mode was released and unsurprisingly they were updating their firmware for their trunk kit to accommodate the new Tesla update. Don't know of anyone else that does this.

@rice_bucket, when you are referring to the YouTube videos, are any of these videos specifically installing this HawkNavi kit you bought or are you referring to videos for other units?

Reactions: WNC-MY