Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power frunk kits: Where did you put the latch motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished installing the EvOffer v5 power frunk kit. Installation kinda went as expected (strut removal/attachment was the only tricky part), but one thing I found frustratingly vague was where to place the latch motor.
The kit came with some adhesive pads but they were not called for anywhere in the official installation video or instructions. Rather, the official video said basically to stuff the motor into a cavity near the left wheel well, and cable tie it to a big cable there. They kinda glossed over it, especially considering the shape of the motor isn't exactly conducive to zip tying it securely...

Here's the spot in the video where they show it:

I'm worried the motor may slip out of the zip tie, or vibration may cause wear to the cable it's tied to. Where did other people mount it? The motor has various tapped holes and such that make it look like it's designed to be mounted more permanently...

Yeah, the video is extremely vague in explaining how that heavy part is affixed to the structure/frame. It basically just said here is where it goes and voila it's done, pointing to a totally dark area where you can't even tell where the part is. That's really the only crappy thing about the product and the installation video. Everything else was very clear and easy to follow.

I didn't put mine where they suggested, since I can't thread the zip-ties to loop around the latch motor in that area of the car. Others said in a different thread using sticky velcro works well. I'll take out my frunk tub someday and give that a try.

Velcro post is right after this one.

I recently installed the EV offer v5 too. This and cable placement added extra time for me. In the video they had you zip tie the latch motor to one of the cooling lines which I was not fond of doing due to vibration while in motion. What I did was take the double sided tape and placed it on the back side of the latch unit. Then stuck it upside down on the square tubular crash support. Then took 2 big zip ties and zipped it around the crash support to prevent the latch from moving. That sucker not going anywhere.

The reason for this location is incase the motor locks up, you can clip the latch wire to open the hood.

Quick question. On your install, was your wiring cables from the right side (passenger) a little short? Mine barely made the connection point.

Reactions: mangrove79