Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Frunk | No more fingerprints on the hood!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thing is about $150 too expensive, this is an instant buy from me at $250 or even $300, but $450 ehh I don't really need it that much. The original ebay listing has only sold 4 of them.

That's what I'm saying. I think at a retail price of $199 they'd have a hit on their hands and would have a hard time keeping up with orders for months of not years to come. Based on the hardware that makes the kit up that should be plenty of profit margin too. Just feels like one of those good ideas that had it been priced right in the first place would have been a hit. Instead I think they've priced themselves out of the market.

This thing is about $150 too expensive, this is an instant buy from me at $250 or even $300, but $450 ehh I don't really need it that much. The original ebay listing has only sold 4 of them.

Expensive, yes. Although compare to the price of repairing a dented hood. Tesla is very specific about how you are supposed to close the frunk, an it uses two hands. Which tends to be tricky in the real world because, well... you just got something out of there, so at least one of your hands is likely not available.

I never understood why this is not offered as standard equipment.

What would give me more pause is reliability. Regulations are very specific when it comes to latching the hood. You don't want that thing suddenly opening by itself when you are driving down a highway.

Expensive, yes. Although compare to the price of repairing a dented hood. Tesla is very specific about how you are supposed to close the frunk, an it uses two hands. Which tends to be tricky in the real world because, well... you just got something out of there, so at least one of your hands is likely not available.

I never understood why this is not offered as standard equipment.
A screen protector or case might save you from having to replace your $1,200 smart phone but that doesn't mean I'm paying $120 for them.

Finished the install today.

I waited for a 10% coupon on eBay and honestly, for $400 I think it'll be worth it as I have avoided using the frunk because of how dirty the hood can get (or how clean it was after washing things, I didn't 't want to dirty it up, or crease it).

A couple of notes:

1. Video is priceless. Prime motivator for me in buying this product.
2. Installation now comes with a pig-tail connector so there are no wires to splice for the latch release solenoid. Completely plug-n-play
3. You re-use the main spring on the latch mechanism. Put it on outside of the vehicle and then the two 10mm bolts
4. When "adjusting" the latch mechanism, the bolt on the right holds the latch in, and the one on the left allows you to move the mechanism up and down. Too far down and mine would unlatch after catching. It was about 0.5 mm from max (super tight ... back it out a bit and move the mechanism down a smidge). Do this test before you put everything back together!
5. Plenty of wire. You may need extra zip ties.
6. Where you place the CPU is up to you (I used the vertical body position by where the bucket goes.
7. Where you place the motor is up to you (I used for frame portion that the bucket lies on, just closer to the bumper)
8. If it fits, you plug it in. The CPU inputs are labeled in English, but the wiring harnesses labels aren't.

Total time, about 2 hrs. I spent too much time trying to find the right placement for the CPU / motor, and then putting the frunk back together.

Finished the install today.

I waited for a 10% coupon on eBay and honestly, for $400 I think it'll be worth it as I have avoided using the frunk because of how dirty the hood can get (or how clean it was after washing things, I didn't 't want to dirty it up, or crease it).

A couple of notes:

1. Video is priceless. Prime motivator for me in buying this product.
2. Installation now comes with a pig-tail connector so there are no wires to splice for the latch release solenoid. Completely plug-n-play
3. You re-use the main spring on the latch mechanism. Put it on outside of the vehicle and then the two 10mm bolts
4. When "adjusting" the latch mechanism, the bolt on the right holds the latch in, and the one on the left allows you to move the mechanism up and down. Too far down and mine would unlatch after catching. It was about 0.5 mm from max (super tight ... back it out a bit and move the mechanism down a smidge). Do this test before you put everything back together!
5. Plenty of wire. You may need extra zip ties.
6. Where you place the CPU is up to you (I used the vertical body position by where the bucket goes.
7. Where you place the motor is up to you (I used for frame portion that the bucket lies on, just closer to the bumper)
8. If it fits, you plug it in. The CPU inputs are labeled in English, but the wiring harnesses labels aren't.

Total time, about 2 hrs. I spent too much time trying to find the right placement for the CPU / motor, and then putting the frunk back together.
Nice, thanks for the info. Did you get the pre-facelift version?

Specifically, it was this version: Tesla Model S (after 2016,for one latch)Electric Frunk kit~Safest storage space | eBay which is $439 now (so knock off 10% when those eBay coupons show up).

This is a "single latch" model for a pre-facelift version!

It appears to be a generic kit (I'm shopping for one right now for a different vehicle) so there are connectors for a remote (dash) mount button, and a "kick" if this were to be mounted under a rear lift gate. There are at least three variants of powered struts, and these are the same design as those you would find OEM in BMW and Audi. Companies like autoease have them for substantially more, and of course if you feel like trying, Aliexpress exists.

But this one came with everything I needed from CA. Ordered on December 19th (so mind the holidays!) and delivered on Jan 3rd.

Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Would I pay someone to do it for me? Naw.
How about for $50? Well ... maybe! But I'd be worried about my car and not having it for a day.
Do I have any reservations / concerns? No.

What would I change? Better instructions on where to mount the CPU and motor, same with some idea as to where to ziptie the extra wiring :)

For me, if a person is helpful to not only provide a great product, and does a complete walkthrough of how to install it - I am 100% more likely to support them.