TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Power inverter question

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Dakkor, May 26, 2018.

1. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

Would this work in a Model S? I plan to only use it with the 12V plug inside the car.

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Outlets-Inverter-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B019Q9859I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527374291&sr=1-3&keywords=power+outlet+to+12v&dpID=51f7cYtmJUL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And I would like to plug this into it (already have it)

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527374523&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+5+port&dpID=41MsFvYtt8L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

We are planning a 5000km trip with 2 kids so I want maximum power to charge everything.

My first plan was this product but can't find it in Canada..

PowerDrive 5 Ports

Taking any suggestion!

2. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

• Funny x 1
  3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#4 Xenoilphobe, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Before I did the hack above, I had these in all our cars https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-Tech-2886-Cupholder-Adapter-6-2/42582633 and add one of these and you have 8 amps of power with 6 outlets
    USB Car Charger | Dual USB Charger by Scosche

This quad-USB power port Cupholder Adapter 6.2 from Wagan Tech with DC socket allows you to use your car cigarette lighter to charge more than one mobile device at the same time. Now you can charge up to two iPads or other tablets and eReaders on the go while using your GPS! Charging ports have a total of 6.2A, two ports are 2.1 amp. The adapter also has one DC port while the cord is 40 inches long.
    Wagan Tech 2886 Cupholder Adapter 6.2:
    • Fits well into cup holder
    • 40" DC cord
    • Provides charging ports for 4 USB devices (6.2A total)
    • Compatible with tablets and ereaders (two 2.1A ports)
    • 1 DC port
    • Maintains original 12V DC power option
    • Fuse protection
    Specifications
    Brand
    WAGAN
    Model
    Volts
    5 / 12 V, 12 V
    Manufacturer Part Number
    Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
    8.55 x 7.40 x 2.90 Inches

4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

5. jplasmd

jplasmd Member

I'll bite..... since I recently installed a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter in my P85.

The max output from the 12 volt plug in your Tesla is 180 watts (12 volts x 15 amps). Your inverter is rated at 300 watts (although it is common for cheap inverters to have overstated specs). For electronics, a more expensive pure sine wave inverter is preferred to your square wave inverter. Your inverter has a tiny fan the will very likely emit a high pitch whine you may fine offensive.

I recommend that you find a 12 volt 'cigarette lighter' splitter with a couple of USB ports, and then add a couple of 12v to USB plug in adapters. Here are some examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Otium-2-Socket-Cigarette-Splitter-Separate/dp/B01MT5ICCO/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1527447552&sr=8-16&keywords=cigarette+lighter+splitter

https://www.amazon.com/VOJO-Cigarette-Lighter-Charger-Accessories/dp/B07BBCK7V3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1527447927&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=cigarette+lighter+to+usb&psc=1

Just make sure you know the amperage ratings of everything you are using so you don't exceed the limits of the adapters.

Happy travels!!

6. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

Thanks

So i would be better with this?

PowerDrive 5 Ports

It only will be maybe 2 phones and 2 tablet and maybe a Nintendo Switch or a 3DS.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Take a closer look at the specs 12V 40A input requirement. It'll blow the fuse in the 12V plug in a matter of milliseconds.
    The 12V plug can only provide about 100 watts, ain't going to get milk from a turnip.

Look at the other direct 12V chargers for best capabilities.

But the most important thing is that you really shouldn't need to be charging anything while travelling, that's what hotels and nights are for. During the day, you are just trickling charging everything. For me, the Anker 5 port is way to small, I charge more items each night. But that plugs into the hotel during the night, not the car during the day.

Do you really need more plugs than the car has during the day?

8. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

We wil be driving around 18 hours straight so I guess some charging will be necessary during driving.

Thanks for the input on the inverter.

9. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

How did you so that? It would be great to get say 1500w AC 110v out of our cars since the battery is so large. It feels that it is handcuffed by a 15A 12V socket. I would love to be able to plug in pretty much any 110V ac tool.

10. jplasmd

jplasmd Member

That should work and is probably your best option.

11. jplasmd

jplasmd Member

PM me