Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Inverters for newer 16V Outlet Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not many threads I could find on this so hopefully this will be helpful to others. I believe the Tesla manual says it doesn't like or not to use power inverters, but I need to charge my laptop on the go so I started looking around. I just finished testing a few 12V-24V inverters because my 12V wasn't working correctly and randomly on my new '22 MY. There is no specific 16V inverter, so I purchased 3 different 12V-24V inverters which also took into account any voltage variation. I tested both the front/rear 16V outlets getting anywhere from 14.2V - 15.7V depending on the battery voltage.

The 3rd in the list below was the best w/120W of continuous power, had a separate power cord, and had cig-lighter extensions. The cig-lighter extension on the unit measured the same voltage as the battery which meant variable voltage and convenient. I connected my 12V 120W tire inflator to the cig-lighter extension and ran it for 5 minutes without a problem. I also charged up my laptop using an 87W MBP power adapter and it also worked great. The unit had a slight buzzing to it but so did my 12V inverter.

Tested all 3 below all of which worked and was able to piggy back my 12V inverter.
I kept the 3rd since it was the most useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829JSS7Z/ <- 100W Max
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09638CTJK/ <- 100W Max
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5FK6ML/ <- 120W Continuous

Pic of the one 1 kept which has 3 outlets (1 grounded), multiple USB charging ports, and 2 cig-lighter extensions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.37.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 4.37.10 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,850
Last edited:
The 3rd in the list below was the best w/120W of continuous power, had a separate power cord, and had cig-lighter extensions. The cig-lighter extension on the unit measured the same voltage as the battery which meant variable voltage and convenient. I connected my 12V 120W tire inflator to the cig-lighter extension and ran it for 5 minutes without a problem. I also charged up my laptop using an 87W MBP power adapter and it also worked great. The unit had a slight buzzing to it but so did my 12V inverter.

ANSEE Car Power Inverter 120W DC 12V 24V to AC 110V
Do you know if the 120 V is pure Sinus like those inverters?

Last edited:
I am not sure, but I did see this under the Q&A... mixed results below.

Also, I did find another modified sine wave titled inverter that is fairly inexpensive... no idea what the modified is for:

Q: Is this pure sine wave or modified sine wave?
A: sine wave
By EastOakland106 on December 28, 2020

Q: Is this a pure sine wave Inverter?
A: Yes, it also is a pass through 12 volt power see more
By Michael S. on January 25, 2022

Q: Is it normal for this to output lower than 110 Volts? Mine is outputting 98 volts with no load, and the input voltage is a little higher than 24 Volts
A: My unit
24 vdc input produces 230 vac out
12 vdc in 108 vac out
Output is not a sine wave
By Stubborn on November 12, 2020

Also, I did find another modified sine wave titled inverter that is fairly inexpensive... no idea what the modified is for:
Good price but seems to be the title says:
Carrfan Power Inverter Vehicle Power Converter Universal Modified Sine Wave 500W DC 12V/24V to 100-120V/220-240V AC

Anyway, I would prefer using a separate 12 V to 120 V inverter because of the idle consumption.
- Can you measure the idle consumption of the ANSEE power inverter.

However, after a couple of minutes, the Tesla will goes to sleep and the 12v socket will be turned off.

For a laptop, best is to use a DC to DC buck boost converter than having a DC to AC inverter and then an AC to DC charger.

Last edited:
I ordered the 3rd item. The input and output are both 15.5 volts and not working with my inverter. I tried using the 120v plugs on this. It worked once. I then hit the power switch on this to turn it off, when turned back on it blew and will not power anything via the 120 plugs now.

Update. Amazon is swapping it out for me, other buyers confirm this should have worked.

Last edited:
Question: do power inverters draw power from the battery pack or the 12v car battery? I plan to charge a few devices from the car during an upcoming camping trip and I'm curious about where the draw will come from. Obviously do not want to drain the 12v battery...

You all seem way smarter than me, so help me out. I need to run my MacBook Pro. Can’t I just use this? Won’t this work w any laptop that has USB-C charging

120W USB C Car Charger Adapter, WOTOBEUS PD 100W/PPS 45W 30W 18W Super Fast Charging Type C LED Cigarette Lighter for iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max Samsung Galaxy S22 S21 Note 20 iPad MacBook Laptop Pixel https://a.co/d/ax6l39E

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
I purchased this one,special design for 2019-2022 Tesla Model 3 and Y. 150W, DC TO AC. with Type C Ports Led Display Dual USB Ports Quick Charge 3.0 and AC outlets Cigarette Lighter Outlet. I felt so useful for my laptop,which let me work on my Tesla model 3. Love it.
Question is, will it be reliable for the 15.5v output the new Tesla's have? Specs hint that it would be good up to 14v.

Yes, I had tried it with my model 3. and the inverter comes with intelligent led screen to monitor the voltage and current. so it was convenient for you to check your car voltage output.
Good to know 👍 (looks huge, though). Powered accessories are going to be a learning curve for a lot of us with the newer generation of 15.5v Teslas. My current plan for a carry-along air compressor is a battery powered unit, those that look like power drills. If I absolutely need air, I won't risk something being fried by too much juice.

Last edited:
I bought this 10-17v Inverter and it works great. It only has 1 outlet, but good enough for now.

This should work as well, but a bit pricey.
I am sure it works but it looks ugly though :) anyone found anything better looking that works? I know I am shallow 😀

Question: do power inverters draw power from the battery pack or the 12v car battery? I plan to charge a few devices from the car during an upcoming camping trip and I'm curious about where the draw will come from. Obviously do not want to drain the 12v battery...

Pretty much anything except the motors and HVAC run off the 12/16v battery.... When the 12/16v battery gets low, the Tesla switches on the 400v main battery to top off the smaller one. Obviously, the current Tesla models were not designed for continuous aux power draw. The Cybertruck should have a built in inverter connected to the main battery for those purposes similar to the F150 and ioniq5.

Reactions: hiroshiy