Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Japan Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the Prius's battery technology, I'm not sure it says much. I read it earlier today and I'm putting it on the "to watch" pile next to the other hundreds of statements that have been made over the past 3 years or so. Rough consensus and working code and all that... :)

Very interesting but one question. How much more range with these new batteries provide if TM is already getting 300 mile and 265 EPA rated miles from the current battery tech?

I know as much as the website/video says, so no idea! But if the claims are true, this is one interesting technology... batteries using cotton!

- - - Updated - - -

other writeups:
Dual-Carbon Battery: Same Energy Density, Safer, Longer Life Than Lithium-Ion, Says Power Japan Plus (this one has more details)
Japan Start-Up Creates Revolutionary Carbon Battery | Sci-Tech Today
The Organic Battery From Japan That Could Spawn The Next Tesla - Todd Woody - The Atlantic

Last edited:
Gigaom's Katie Fehrenbacher has an article on it, too
A Japanese startup unveils a long-lasting and safer battery made from carbon Tech News and Analysis

But it contains several points that would set off my BS alarm if not cross checked against other sources:

"highly flammable lithium oxide" - oxides are product of oxidation AKA fire

"doesn’t contain rare earth materials and metals" - no metals at all? I thought only the electrodes were from carbon. The PJP website shows Li+ dots moving around in the cell.

Gigaom's Katie Fehrenbacher has an article on it, too
A Japanese startup unveils a long-lasting and safer battery made from carbon Tech News and Analysis

But it contains several points that would set off my BS alarm if not cross checked against other sources:

"highly flammable lithium oxide" - oxides are product of oxidation AKA fire

"doesn’t contain rare earth materials and metals" - no metals at all? I thought only the electrodes were from carbon. The PJP website shows Li+ dots moving around in the cell.

Ever tried to soak a cotton ball in a highly flammable liquid? Apply spark or fire, and the cotton ball evaporates entirely in a whooompth of a second!