Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Lift AND Close Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been holding off on the trunk option from tesla offer until I feel like I'll have enough time to install it, but this seems to be a much simpler install - anyone know why the trunk version requires tapping the can bus but this one is plug and play?

I've been holding off on the trunk option from tesla offer until I feel like I'll have enough time to install it, but this seems to be a much simpler install - anyone know why the trunk version requires tapping the can bus but this one is plug and play?

Probably because there were plugs to intercept in the front, while there may not be much in the way of those sort of connectors in the rear.

This also looks WAY easier to install than the trunk one. Just wish it was a little cheaper.

Also, since this isn’t connecting to the CAM wiring I’m wondering if we don’t have to worry about an update from Tesla disabling it like what happened to the power trunk recently.

Reactions: woodisgood
So, $475 for this, after 5% discount? As nice as it is, that's a pass. You still have to use either the app or the fob. A foot sensor would be nice.
It is expensive.
It will work like this...Approaching the car with two bags of groceries (apple watch and iphone) "hey siri, open the frunk". The groceries go in then press emergency release button to close the frunk. Get home tap open frunk on tesla display, remove groceries, press emer release to close, fumble for front door house keys in front pocket with hands full of groceries.
This is all assuming you can still afford groceries after spending $475 on the kit.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I definitely want both the trunk and frunk and don't mind the cost (these should have been present on the premium trim IMHO - glaring omission in a luxury vehicle). My concern is of course what happens if Tesla changes things with the CAN bus and suddenly the thing stops working or becomes excessively glitchy. How I wish this was an official Tesla solution!

It is expensive.
It will work like this...Approaching the car with two bags of groceries (apple watch and iphone) "hey siri, open the frunk". The groceries go in then press emergency release button to close the frunk. Get home tap open frunk on tesla display, remove groceries, press emer release to close, fumble for front door house keys in front pocket with hands full of groceries.
This is all assuming you can still afford groceries after spending $475 on the kit.
You're right, I could tell Siri to open/close the frunk. Now, you'e got me thinking about it. Ideally, this would be a $200 solution. Even a healthy 20% discount would be about double what I'd be interested in paying.