Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting topic.

I think first you'll need some hardware that isn't there in non-power lift gate cars:
- The power lift gate ECU (module) installed inside the liftgate trim somewhere
- MAYBE a bunch of wiring
- MAYBE a new liftgate interior trim panel with the physical power button

Then you will need access to the software in order to operate it through the 17" touchscreen. This you'll need either Tesla or some hacker to help you with.

I wonder if it's possible to do this DIY witout the software mod... Of course then the power lift gate would be "auto close only" by pressing the physical power button...

I was wondering it the wiring was already there like it is for the lights on the non premium cars. It'd probably cheaper for them to run it with the wire already there instead of making separate cables. As for the car , I feel like if it knows the motor is plugged in it activated the lift gate features on its own.

Done a bit of research. You'll need at least the following HW:

(1) The electronic Power Liftgate Control Module. On PLG cars, it's mounted under the trunk carpeting, on the right hand (passenger) side wheel arch. It's made by Pektron (you can Google Images it), and screwed on top of the Parking Assist Module bracket.

(2) The wiring harnesses from the PLG Control Module. They *might* be there on non-PLG cars, but I doubt that they're all there because some of the wires go to HW items nr. 3, 4 and 5 below. Also there's a special chime/speaker that's connected to the module. Not sure if the chime's there on non-PLG cars.... Don' think so.

(3) The Liftgate Power Strut, i.e. the motorized rod that actually pushes and pulls the liftgate up/down. It's the strut on the right hand side. On non-PLG cars, it's a standard gas strut.

(4) The "Pull Cup" with the integrated PLG switch - that is the physical button you can push to engage auto close.

(5) The Anti Pinch sensors on both sides of the liftgate. To avoid crunched limbs.

As far as car "knowing" that you've installed the PLG equipment: Very unlikely. Just like the Winter Pacage, the Sunroof etc., Tesla actually have to tick this in the software in order for it to show up on the MCU (like, "PLG=True" or something similar).

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and MP3Mike
An update on my quest
I ended up purchasing this
Power operated tailgate lift assisting system TL105 – Autoease
They had it on sale for $299 + $50 shipping as part of a preorder special

I asked the seller for the manual and he emailed it to me. Seems a bit lacking but well see how it goes.
Here is the manual
Tesla Installation manual.pdf (348.81KB) - SendSpace.com

Seems very promising. It has already shipped out via DHL from China. Should arrive next week. Im just worried about running the wire to the car battery.

Last edited:
You uploaded the wrong manual. That's for the LED light replacement.

I'm very curious to see how your install goes. I couldn't justify the Premium package because the power liftgate is really all I wanted. $350 sounds like a deal.

Good luck!
Im sorry about that. I updated the link. I couldn't justify it either. The lift gate is all I wanted.

The led light upgrade makes up for interior light upgrade. Everyone raves about them and its only $45 bucks for 4 lights. Waiting for mine to come in tomorrow. Im changing all 12 off them in my car. Total cost was $109

The che1 company seems to have been doing this for a while so I trust the product works well. Im just worried how good is the custom design for the Tesla model s

I ordered and got mine today (4 days to ship DHL express), kit is very professional for sure, however, everything is in Chinese (no surprise). The instructions listed above are borderline crap, so we shall see how this goes.... It will be interesting, thats for sure. Ill post pictures and step by step when i get to do this over the weekend.

Actually the instructions are worse than crap, steps 5-8 talk about removing panels, hmm i guess there is a reason they forgot to mention. And connecting directly to the battery?? which is not where mine is located... I guess we'll need to improvise here.

Last edited:
So I put the wiring harness together. its easier than the instructions make it look (which some of the photos are not even a Tesla).

There is a can bus decoder that plugs into the Canbus and that goes to the main harness, i suspect this is where it detects the remote or the touchscreen opening the liftgate.

There are basically these inputs/connections to make:

1) Fuse box adapter - splits a fuse ( I will have to find one that is 'Live' when the car is unlocked via the remote, not sure which fuse I can tap into as there are no instructions that call that out and I'm currently already tapped into two for Artsci's T and for goshers blind spot detectors alreadys)
2) Ground wire
3) Canbus Adapter ( I assume this plugs in under the main screen?)
4) Power switch to install on rear lift gate handle
5) Plug that connects to the OEM rear lift gate lock
6) Left strut cable (Yes both are powered struts)
7) Right strut cable

So other than routing the harness from rear hatch to frunk, the other connectors look fairly easy once i figure out which fuse to tap.