Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• MCU电路板.jpg
    MCU电路板.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tension
I just finished installing an Autoease power lift kit. I agree with many of you that this is a high quality kit and that the support from China via WhatsApp was great. In general I had no issue installing the system but it took me close to 6 hours. The kit I received was $550 including shipping. One difference may be that this kit also included the power latch which required opening up both rear sides of the truck, routing wire from both sides and replacing the stock latch. The kit also included a lighted button and drill bit to install in the right rear side hatch handle/cup. The system worked first time and can be opened/closed from the display, the fob, the tailgate button outside when shut and by the installed button inside the lid. All of the prior info/videos helped tremendously though the only mystery was mounting/installing the latch motor. More trim was removed and I attempted to use double sided tape to affix the motor inside the left side wheel well prior to reinstalling the large carpet panel. This panel may also hold the motor in place such that there is no rattle or movement. I will report any issues that arise on this forum.

Did anyone with aftermarket power liftgate got MCU2 upgrade? SC told me upgrade requires Tesla power liftgate control module and the aftermarket one will no longer work after install. Anybody have any experience on this? Thanks.
I upgraded my 2017 S75 to the MCU2 and FSD computer. No issue with my aftermarket power liftgate. The app still can't open/close it properly but that's been like that since before the upgrade. All other controls operate it with no issue.

Did they install liftgate control module when they upgrade yours? Where did you tap the power for 12V? Thank you.
Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure they didn't know I had an aftermarket liftgate when I got the upgrade. 12V was in a harness on the passenger side behind the side panels in the trunk area. The instructions from the CoZero kit helped identify which wire to tap into.

I had a full write up in another thread...can't seem to find it now...

Reactions: Akikiki
Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure they didn't know I had an aftermarket liftgate when I got the upgrade. 12V was in a harness on the passenger side behind the side panels in the trunk area. The instructions from the CoZero kit helped identify which wire to tap into.

I had a full write up in another thread...can't seem to find it now...
Thank you for the info. I tap the power from original liftgate connector. Wonder maybe that is the reason they said my aftermarket won’t work since they must use that connector for their module. I’ll find out when I get the car back next week. Thanks again!

My lifegate still works fine and I have the mcu2 upgrade
thank you for the info. since i tap the power from liftgate connector and they need that connector to power original liftgate module they had to disconnect it which is why they said aftermarket won't work with upgrade. i made a wire harness to bridge the power to both liftgate module and it's all working good now. still not sure why they need to add original liftgate module tho, seems like only thing they are using out off that is a speaker.