Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sweetness!!!

Couple of questions:

(1) Post some install pics?
(2) Is there any "pinch sensor" involved here? I.e. any mechanism to abort the closing if someone's arms or legs get in between?

I'll post a few helpful photos and hints, its pretty easy install. I took all the frunk and interior paneling out in prep and didn't need to in the end!!! During my dreams overnight i remembered the original plugs for the lift gate module are in the rear so I just tapped power from there. You also do not need to install the CANBUS module in the drivers side, not sure why they thought you did as everything works without that connection too.

All you need to do is take the passenger rear trunk wheel well carpet and the plastic panel and then upper panel near the roof out. Then you can get to everything. That and all the tailgate panels and covers. Once you have that out its gravy.

As for pinch sensors, NO they are not present. However, if you put some upward or stop pressure on the unit when it comes down it immediately re-opens. So be warned. If you have kids in the back make sure they don't have their hands and fingers near the lock etc when it comes down the last 4-5 inches as its fast at that point. So maybe not for everyone but its a very cool well made kit so far.

Last edited:
I'll post a few helpful photos and hints, its pretty easy install. I took all the frunk and interior paneling out in prep and didn't need to in the end!!! During my dreams overnight i remembered the original plugs for the lift gate module are in the rear so I just tapped power from there. You also do not need to install the CANBUS module in the drivers side, not sure why they thought you did as everything works without that connection too.

All you need to do is take the passenger rear trunk wheel well carpet and the plastic panel and then upper panel near the roof out. Then you can get to everything. That and all the tailgate panels and covers. Once you have that out its gravy.

As for pinch sensors, NO they are not present. However, if you put some upward or stop pressure on the unit when it comes down it immediately re-opens. So be warned. If you have kids in the back make sure they don't have their hands and fingers near the lock etc when it comes down the last 4-5 inches as its fast at that point. So maybe not for everyone but its a very cool well made kit so far.

THANK YOU so much for putting these posts together. Did you have any trouble with putting the paneling back? In an earlier post, you suggested possibly getting some extra fasteners. Did you need to use them? Where did you get them from?

Here are some helpful photos:

Liftgate plug behind carpet of passenger wheel well, Black and gray Tap is on the Red/Grey wire.

Note the ground Screw at the bottom, which is where you will bolt the ground wire down.

IMG_1471_zpsvec0cntp.jpg

Connection from piston to lift gate through rubber grommet (passenger side)

IMG_1472_zps0diq5vio.jpg

Power from left side piston through lift gate grommet, left side.

IMG_1474_zpsbvsbs77e.jpg

And here is a video showing all the ways to open

Reactions: Dax279
Thanks for the pictures to help. So I assume the reason that you can control it via the Tesla is because the wire tap on the grey and red wire is toggled on via the remote, touchscreen, and trunk handle. Is that correct or is the unit connected to the Tesla another way?

Thanks
Dave

Thanks for the pictures to help. So I assume the reason that you can control it via the Tesla is because the wire tap on the grey and red wire is toggled on via the remote, touchscreen, and trunk handle. Is that correct or is the unit connected to the Tesla another way?

Thanks
Dave

No, on the lift gate harness you remove the plug to the rear locking mechanism and then plug that into the harness and then the harness plugs back into the rear lock. When it senses the remote or touchscreen unlocking it activates the auto liftgate

Thanks for all these posts, @AMPUP. I looked at a Model S today with the stock power lift gate and noticed the following differences:
  1. It seems like the mechanism is quite loud when in movement compared to a stock power lift gate.
  2. The button on underside of liftgate appears different (at least from the December 2015 car I compared against)
  3. The stock lift gate seems to open and close more smoothly when near the latch.

Thanks for all these posts, @AMPUP. I looked at a Model S today with the stock power lift gate and noticed the following differences:
  1. It seems like the mechanism is quite loud when in movement compared to a stock power lift gate.
  2. The button on underside of liftgate appears different (at least from the December 2015 car I compared against)
  3. The stock lift gate seems to open and close more smoothly when near the latch.

1. Its not that loud. However, it is louder than the stock liftgate as this has two motorized arms as opposed to one.

2. The button isn't stock so it is different, however there is no reason to not be able to source the stock handle&button and install that, its just wiring. Its probably what I will end up doing.

3. The stock liftgate is smooth all the way down and then clamps down on the lock. This is using the last 4-6 inches to just force the lock as if you were closing manually.

This was $300 and works as advertised, its pretty much the only after market solution so those that either didn't buy PUP or an older equivalent (as they changed around packages etc) its an option. It works for me so far so I don't have any complaints.

I've been following the progress on this.
You folks looking for a persistent 12v power source in the rear of the car can refer to the instructions for wiring the Lighted Rear Applique'. This may be the same connection that AMPUP was referring to in his post #40.
If you are not familiar with the Lighted Rear Applique, read about it here http://evappliques.com The instructions link is located here:EV-Appliqués - Installation and here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a-G4Ry1lO81c65rj8hGadJ-IJBQBlQHfSrS-...
In the Gen III Telsa Model S Lighted Rear Applique' instructions go down to the top of page 17 with paragraph titled 12V Power:

You might want to consider adding a fuse panel or small fuse box coming off the liftgate control module connector and getting power from the fuse panel. This will allow a graceful 12v power connection for other additional devices you might want to add later - in the trunk.

By the way, the Lighted Applique' is awesome.

Reactions: BigTonyTones
Yep, got it working. Much easier than it looks. Also you don't have to hook power into the battery, I hooked the power into the spare harness where the lift gate controller fits on cars equipped with auto tailgate.

More to come. It opens with remote, screen the handle and a button installed on the tailgate

Here is a video

Great Job!
Id love to have any more information you might have about the install. Was going to try and install it today
Id love to see where you tapped into the power. Really dont feel like running a wire from the front to the back for power

I've been following the progress on this.
You folks looking for a persistent 12v power source in the rear of the car can refer to the instructions for wiring the Lighted Rear Applique'. This may be the same connection that AMPUP was referring to in his post #40.
If you are not familiar with the Lighted Rear Applique, read about it here http://evappliques.com The instructions link is located here:EV-Appliqués - Installation and here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a-G4Ry1lO81c65rj8hGadJ-IJBQBlQHfSrS-...
In the Gen III Telsa Model S Lighted Rear Applique' instructions go down to the top of page 17 with paragraph titled 12V Power:

You might want to consider adding a fuse panel or small fuse box coming off the liftgate control module connector and getting power from the fuse panel. This will allow a graceful 12v power connection for other additional devices you might want to add later - in the trunk.

By the way, the Lighted Applique' is awesome.
Thank you for this!

Reactions: Akikiki
Thank you for the video! It greatly helps
What video were you talking about regarding the power? I didnt seem to find it on your youtube channell
that wasn't in the video.. ultimately when you take the two side panels off and pull back the rear wheel arch carpet, you will see this Black/White plug tucked down in the harness. Tap the red/Gray wire and then use the bolt on the chassis (Below that plug, pictured below) for the ground. When you are all done, use some zip tied to tidy things up back there.

IMG_1471_zpsvec0cntp.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike