Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that wasn't in the video.. ultimately when you take the two side panels off and pull back the rear wheel arch carpet, you will see this Black/White plug tucked down in the harness. Tap the red/Gray wire and then use the bolt on the chassis (Below that plug, pictured below) for the ground. When you are all done, use some zip tied to tidy things up back there.

IMG_1471_zpsvec0cntp.jpg
Perfect thank you
I see your fan of the POSI-TAP, love those things!

Just ordered the kit and absorbing every bit of info on the install:)
Watching the vid, it does look like it kinda slams shut instead of softly closing like the OEM kit does! No biggie but is this the calibration you mention and if so, how is that done?
the Tesla trunk requires a lot of force to close shut. I actually don't think the kit shuts down hard enough. The calibration is simple. Make sure the trunk is fully open. Press down the trunk closing button that comes with the kit for a few seconds until it beeps. Let go and wait a second. Then push the button to close your trunk . you'll notice it speed closes

I got the package today! I'm a little surprised at the speed since it was sent Monday morning Hong Kong time and delivered in Southern California around noon today, but I guess this is what you get for $50. :p

I need to brush up on the posts, pics and videos from this thread before I start ripping panels and such out. I already got the batch of panel fasteners posted on the previous page, but I have yet to get the Posi-Tap connectors. Are those required for this install? What gauge is needed? 16-18?

I got the package today! I'm a little surprised at the speed since it was sent Monday morning Hong Kong time and delivered in Southern California around noon today, but I guess this is what you get for $50. :p

I need to brush up on the posts, pics and videos from this thread before I start ripping panels and such out. I already got the batch of panel fasteners posted on the previous page, but I have yet to get the Posi-Tap connectors. Are those required for this install? What gauge is needed? 16-18?
Knowing how Posi-Taps work, I think its appropriate/safe to say, that no, they are not critical to the install. But again, knowing how they work, I highly recommend them. They are safer than just cutting the insulation off the wire. Posi-Taps pierce a hole into the insulation with a sharp metal tip. The tip in surrounded by the plastic of the Posi-Tap and prevents a short. When you strip insulation off the wire that you are attaching, there's no power going to that wire if you remove the plastic nuts on the end of the Posi-Tap. Makes far more sense with you see it. But very safe.

Many ways to tap into a wire. I just stock up on the Posi-taps because they work so well. They are clean, easy, and reusable in case I ever want to change the wire or reverse it. You never have to worry about them coming loose

I used these ones to tap into mine
Amazon.com: Lockitt Posi-Tap 6pc pack #605/6 16-18 awg Blue: Automotive

Cool, where did you get the grommet?

Here are some helpful photos:

Liftgate plug behind carpet of passenger wheel well, Black and gray Tap is on the Red/Grey wire.

Note the ground Screw at the bottom, which is where you will bolt the ground wire down.

IMG_1471_zpsvec0cntp.jpg

Connection from piston to lift gate through rubber grommet (passenger side)

IMG_1472_zps0diq5vio.jpg

Power from left side piston through lift gate grommet, left side.

IMG_1474_zpsbvsbs77e.jpg

And here is a video showing all the ways to open

C

Anybody else installed this kit? Just ordered mine.

Just installed mine. Works great! Use this site for all your installation needs. My kit didn't include instructions.

FYI - my kit didn't have a screw for the controller, so I had to find one that would fit before mounting it. My kit didn't come with the obd connector, but you won't need it. The only thing missing from this site is where to mount the trunk button. When I drilled a half inch hole for it in the rubber handles, I drilled it too close to the outside edge to where I didn't have the clearance to reinstall it. I had to fanagle it to fit it.

I got all the panels pulled off with relatively little difficulty. I was able to swap out the bars on both sides with the cables running towards the controller home. I was able to tap into the red/grey wire as part of the white connector shown in pictures earlier in the thread (with the ground on a nearby nut) and the wire has been run through the headliner over to the controller. Everything is connected into the controller securely.

However, when I double click the fob to unlock the trunk, the latch on the liftgate just clicks and no movement happens. Since the latch clicks, that means it's getting power, right? Could it be possible that I have a defective product? I'm really stumped as to what to do since the instructions are lacking and it seems like the manufacturer has communication issues. From the posts on this thread and the other one, it seems like I have everything set up correctly, so what would this mean? I'm wondering if the red/grey wire is the wrong one.

Help!

This may be related but does anyone know what purpose the little yellow wires serve? I have them connected near the controller (from where the purple power connects into the controller and where the button and latch connection comes from) but I'm not sure whether the other end (that connects to the power source) needs to be tapped into something; the other posts don't seem to say anything about it so is it safe to assume it's not needed?