Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having issues with the liftgate opening and immediately starting to drop and engage the close mechanism (as if you were pushing down), Happens to me about 50% of the time now, I expect it and just push back up and then it goes up and locks in place with no problems, strange issue. They sent me new struts and a new controller, i installed but I still have the same issue. As mine has the factory carbon fiber spoiler the thought is that this extra weight could be causing the issue. They have gone a little silent on this issue...

Anyone having issues with the liftgate opening and immediately starting to drop and engage the close mechanism (as if you were pushing down), Happens to me about 50% of the time now, I expect it and just push back up and then it goes up and locks in place with no problems, strange issue. They sent me new struts and a new controller, i installed but I still have the same issue. As mine has the factory carbon fiber spoiler the thought is that this extra weight could be causing the issue. They have gone a little silent on this issue...

im experiencing the same issue and it is by random. They've sent me the replacement module but it still does it. Havent reached out to them since but they also suggested my spoiler was adding additional weight.

How did you get your hands on the OEM parts? I'd like to use it rather then the one that came with the liftgate.

First I emailed but no reply after a day or so, so I just called the service center and stated I have a couple of OEM parts that I needed to order and that I had the OEM numbers (the cup and switch are 2 different SKUs). They're coming from a different SC, so hopefully will arrive at my service center for pick-up within a week. I hear it's hit or miss when ordering parts with Tesla.

im experiencing the same issue and it is by random. They've sent me the replacement module but it still does it. Havent reached out to them since but they also suggested my spoiler was adding additional weight.

It'll get worse... mine did. I advised them that they needed to reprogram the module as when it goes back up it holds just fine....

To anyone interested if you'll have a spoiler I would hold up until they fix the problem... (which I'm not holding my breath)...

First I emailed but no reply after a day or so, so I just called the service center and stated I have a couple of OEM parts that I needed to order and that I had the OEM numbers (the cup and switch are 2 different SKUs). They're coming from a different SC, so hopefully will arrive at my service center for pick-up within a week. I hear it's hit or miss when ordering parts with Tesla.

What is the cost for both parts, please?

It'll get worse... mine did. I advised them that they needed to reprogram the module as when it goes back up it holds just fine....

To anyone interested if you'll have a spoiler I would hold up until they fix the problem... (which I'm not holding my breath)...

I received a note back from the manufacturer last night that two others had reported the same problem I have, They believe it is related to the additional weight of the factory spoiler and initially made a controller change, It solved one of the folks that had the issue, but not the other so they are making an additional change at which point they said they will ship a new module.. Not resolved yet but at least there is communication from them.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I received a note back from the manufacturer last night that two others had reported the same problem I have, They believe it is related to the additional weight of the factory spoiler and initially made a controller change, It solved one of the folks that had the issue, but not the other so they are making an additional change at which point they said they will ship a new module.. Not resolved yet but at least there is communication from them.

The other person must be me. They replied to me asking if I could take a video of the situation. One of the hatch coming back down on its own, and a second video of it staying up if I prevent it from closing. Of course when I tried to take the video, everything started working as it should.... ill try it again soon.

I wonder if they are able to program the module to also allow the hatch to stop if you press the button again... According to their generic product description, its supposed to do just that, but on the Tesla version, it just goes either up or down, with no option to stop it half way, etc... Ill email them to ask that as well once I can obtain a video of the condition... Maybe others can chime in to them as well to request the feature

Any news on this? Was going to pull the trigger and then saw this. Don't want to risk it unless they have a solution to fix it.

I haven't been able to capture the scenario on video for che1 as of yet because 1) i dont use the trunk nearly enough and 2) the couple of times ive tried, the trunk worked fine...

The symptom of the tailgate sag, and coming down on its own seems to be by random at the moment. (for me at least)

I haven't been able to capture the scenario on video for che1 as of yet because 1) i dont use the trunk nearly enough and 2) the couple of times ive tried, the trunk worked fine...

The symptom of the tailgate sag, and coming down on its own seems to be by random at the moment. (for me at least)
that sounds like issue with strut. wonder if we use tesla original strut will that work?

that sounds like issue with strut. wonder if we use tesla original strut will that work?

This solution uses two motorized struts compared to Tesla's one. When you block the liftgate coming down it goes back up and stays just fine, it's the initial raising/opening that doesn't hold. If I hold the button to reset each time the next time it opens it's fine, then the next time it goes back to dropping/closing on its own. They just need to reprogram the module... We shall see. I may just end up retrofiting the Tesla one without the pinch sensors If they don't get the module fixed. Like I said it only seems to effect liftgate with the extra spoiler weight.

This solution uses two motorized struts compared to Tesla's one. When you block the liftgate coming down it goes back up and stays just fine, it's the initial raising/opening that doesn't hold. If I hold the button to reset each time the next time it opens it's fine, then the next time it goes back to dropping/closing on its own. They just need to reprogram the module... We shall see. I may just end up retrofiting the Tesla one without the pinch sensors If they don't get the module fixed. Like I said it only seems to effect liftgate with the extra spoiler weight.
emailed them last night and here is their reply.
"We have a solution by adjusting firmware (add a bit more force when gate to the top), please inform us once the order was made so that we can send a correct control box in your case."
but sounds like you already got a new box and still having issue. maybe you should reach out to them again.

I just got mine installed. I bought it from COzero - my best guess is that it is the same set. But it don't think that mine is "slamming" when closing:
Dropbox - Video 29-04-2017 07.45.25.mov

Also they made ( I think ) a better manual, and also included some tools and clips in the box
3006-IMG_4982.JPG

3007-IMG_4985.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/paqh70d21bd89zm/CCOzero%20Power%20liftgate.pdf?dl=0

Last edited: