Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power lift gate DIY possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny that you bought the same Biltema panel clip tool as I did :p

The Power Liftgate has worked flawlessly for 90 days now and I use it a lot! Initially it would start to close just when it hit fully open and would also slam shut quite hard. I reset the system by holding the button until a loud beeb sounded, then pressed the button again to cycle through a full motion!

This completely cured the problem and it stays open like it should and slams shut with the force I would use to manually make the lock latch properly! With a window or door open, it slams a bit harder but nothing I`d worry about!
I have to say though that except for my 1973 Toytoa Coraolla, no other liftgate have required more force to latch properlyo_O

...Not getting the power liftgate is the ONE thing I regret about the car

It wasn't just a regret for me, it was a SHOCK that a car I paid $100K for would come with a manual lift gate. I didn't need the stuff in the luxury package, but somehow I missed that it was the only way to get the power lift gate. Sadly, they chose to nickel-and-dime you to death like the Germans rather than include everything like the Japanese.

I'm so glad Tony found this! Thanks, man.

It wasn't just a regret for me, it was a SHOCK that a car I paid $100K for would come with a manual lift gate. I didn't need the stuff in the luxury package, but somehow I missed that it was the only way to get the power lift gate. Sadly, they chose to nickel-and-dime you to death like the Germans rather than include everything like the Japanese.

I'm so glad Tony found this! Thanks, man.
Your very welcome. Since I added the OEM button, I like it even more. Very simple to wire yourself. I open and close my trunk about 6 times a day and it has held up well.

have they fixed the issue with it not opening all the way if there is a spoiler? I'm about to add the Tsportline spoiler which would be heavier than the stock one.

No, I installed controller number 3 this past week, it works 40% of the time. However, when advising them I was told that they forgot to install the modified firmware and they would be sending me controller number 4..

It's getting real old taking apart that liftgate and reinstalling the pain in the ass panel...

I'll update when controller number 4 arrives.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Now that all Model S cars are coming standard, won't these eventually become obsolete? A certain percentage of Model S cars had factory power liftgate. Many of the ones without PUP are being retired over the next few years. And a large percentage of those who didn't get power liftgate don't have the need/desire/budget, willingness to rip apart their hatch, or even know about the existence of this product. Their sales will certainly fall off a cliff soon. Eh?

Where's the cheapest place in the USA to get one and is anyone in LA area interested in teaming up to install these -- we can help one another out.

No, I installed controller number 3 this past week, it works 40% of the time. However, when advising them I was told that they forgot to install the modified firmware and they would be sending me controller number 4..

It's getting real old taking apart that liftgate and reinstalling the pain in the ass panel...

No need to remove the panels to install a new control box. You can put your hand in through the those cups that you remove and just tape it in there and switch out the wires. Leave the old control box in there

No need to remove the panels to install a new control box. You can put your hand in through the those cups that you remove and just tape it in there and switch out the wires. Leave the old control box in there

You are right, but I moved the control box to be further up the hatch to try and put weight closer to the struts, rather than in the middle. So will have to get it off again this time.

I just installed mine and I'm having trouble with it not closing all the way, almost like the slam is not strong enough. I tried resetting it by manually closing it and then using the remote to open it but still having the same issue. Any suggestions?

Dropbox - IMG_9115.MOV

Have you tried to adjust the liftgate stoppers (rubber screw in on the end of the tailgate each side and a plastic set on the rear fender each side) you screw them in a little to allow easier closing of the lift-gate

AMPUP, have you got new controller box yet? i emailed them to confirm if they send me correct box and it turns out they didn't. so they ship one out for me yesterday and got it today. haven't got around to install it yet just want to see if you are able to get it install or not.

AMPUP, have you got new controller box yet? i emailed them to confirm if they send me correct box and it turns out they didn't. so they ship one out for me yesterday and got it today. haven't got around to install it yet just want to see if you are able to get it install or not.

Well, it shipped express and should be delivered today... This will be controller number 4, they look nice all stacked up in the garage... The big reveal/test will be this weekend assuming DHL deliver to the right house (which they didn't last time ) :)

New controller installed and it' still drops on its own about 50% of the time, however it now drops slower giving you time to get out the way.. #frustrated.

I may switch out one of the arms tomorrow as I have an extra set of those too.

How long did you have it before it started doing this the first time? I have a spoiler ready to be installed but I have a hard time believing something that light could be causing the issue. I wonder how many of us here have installed the PLG and are having problems.

How long did you have it before it started doing this the first time? I have a spoiler ready to be installed but I have a hard time believing something that light could be causing the issue. I wonder how many of us here have installed the PLG and are having problems.

Few days after original install... I changed one of the arms out today and it's still doing it half the time. Either way I have to think others are having issues if there is the slightest incline, wind or rain adding some level of additional pressure on the open liftgate. Hate to say it but I just don't think the arms arent quite strong enough, the OEM only has one power arm and a slave, this has two.