Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Liftgate Not Functional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to diagnose my power liftgate not opening? Pressing the trunk open buttons there isn't any power to push the trunk upwards. Also pushing the trunk close button, the trunk it forcefully closes shut as if there is no resistance against it. It just suddenly started doing this without any adjustments or damage to my knowledge. I tried adjusting the trunk opening height thinking maybe it got set to a low position.

Not quite understanding your situation, here are the components that operate the power trunk.

Both opening and closing of the rear hatch is actuated by the two motorized shocks on either side. The "latching", once the lid catches on the hook, is also done by another electric motor that pulls the hatch in tight to the body.

If the trunk is NOT opening automatically but is closing automatically, then there is definitely power going to the actuators. Not sure what you mean by "forcefully closes" though. With that said, have you tried a hard-reset of the system? Could be a momentary software glitch if you have touched anything else.

When I press open trunk from either the car, phone, or physical button I can hear the trunk unlatch but it won't push up.

I have to manually pull the trunk open and it will stay open to my desired height.

If I press close then it will drop down very quickly and slam shut. Before there was some resistance and it closed slower which I'm assuming the motorized shocks did.

There is clearly something not functioning with the shocks.

When I press open trunk from either the car, phone, or physical button I can hear the trunk unlatch but it won't push up.

I have to manually pull the trunk open and it will stay open to my desired height.

If I press close then it will drop down very quickly and slam shut. Before there was some resistance and it closed slower which I'm assuming the motorized shocks did.

Schedule a service call.

Sounds like the shocks (one or both) are out of commission. Hopefully the mobile service can come out with new shocks and install them on your driveway vs. having to wait for an appt to the SC.