Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power limited only at 80+ mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video will help explain this better than words:

I get this 100% of the time I accelerate past 80mph at full throttle. If I push it to 100 mph and ease off to maintain speed at 100, the yellow bars go away until I go full throttle again, then the yellow returns instantly as the power bar climbs back towards it. Since this started, I have been able to replicate this every single time I try.

I just picked it up from service, they tell me that this isn't happening. They have seen the linked video and my description. I reproduced the issue on the first after picking up my car, and every subsequent attempt.

Is there a known issue that can do this? Is there a word for it I can use to help them acknowledge it?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
It is a CPO that is speed limited to 80 mph. Like a valet mode. Call Tesla support once the vehicle has been transferred to your name and they can remove the speed limitation. @3ryR

Huh? OP said in their post that they pushed it to 100 (and the video shows 90).

FWIW, pretty much all model s will limit the high end under hard acceleration, especially at lower states of charge. Internal temperatures and state of charge are the two main contributors here.

For max power, you want a warm (but not too hot), fully charged (100%) battery...

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Huh? OP said in their post that they pushed it to 100 (and the video shows 90).

FWIW, pretty much all model s will limit the high end under hard acceleration, especially at lower states of charge. Internal temperatures and state of charge are the two main contributors here.

For max power, you want a warm (but not too hot), fully charged (100%) battery...

hmmm you're right, it does go to 88 mph before cutting power; that is quite a bit beyond 80 mph. Mine was like this, only I saw 135 km/h, which works out to 84 mph; I can't remember how far it went above that amount before it cut out or if it cut out exactly at 135 km/h.

I would still call and ask if they see what it is, Post back and tell us the issue.

my 2013 P85 has always done this too. i can get way past 80 MPH, but the yellow bars appear and cause the car to slowly accelerate anything past mid 80's. i'm curious to see what others with the same model year experience too.

It's a 2013 P85+.

It's not limited to 85 miles per hour and this isn't a new to me car. This happens at any speed over 80 or so - if I'm driving 100 and floor the throttle, it throws the yellow bars up to limit acceleration as soon as I have the pedal all the way down. It's not loaner mode unless Tesla secretly enables that on peoples cars without telling them long after they've owned it, and I can drive deep past 100 so that can't be it. Power is limited, but speed limit is not completely capped at 80.

This error happens from all temperatures I've tried to reproduce it in, from 65F to 90F. All battery SOC from 100% to 50% - I expect limits at low charge but not at a full battery. Video above is 85% charged at 76F.

This only started a month or two ago, it's new behavior. They replaced the contactors at the time this started (that was to fix a yellow box POWER LIMITED error and substantially less power available), but they tell me this is normal. It wasn't ever normal until after the contactors were replaced, and it's not normal now - it's limited power from something wrong.

Vesder, it sounds like we have the same failure - I'll let you know if they can fix mine so you can ask for the same.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The yellow line is never "normal" it means conditions are limiting you artificially. I've had S85 loaners that limit power to less than my P, but not with the yellow. I've been yellow limited by a battery below 20%, I've been yellow limited by frozen cold winter, and now I'm being limited by an unknown problem with the battery, contactors, motor, or electronics that is only obvious under full throttle at higher speeds.

Mine just started doing this while on a trip to Colorado last month and now happens over 77 where the yellow dashed bar comes into play. I sent in a bug report last week and was on the phone with Tesla Friday trying to track down the problem, again today making an appointment for next Friday. It started one time at low speed and now does it typically over 77. Don't worry about TPS they just ordered upgraded system after one tire went out and wasn't in yet, fixed now..
IMG_2081.jpg

I was able to reproduce your slower power limit issue. I was consistently reproducing power limiting at 80+ and took it all the way to 110-115 or so for a while to see how much less acceleration it would give me as I went faster. When I slowed to 50 and then attempted to accelerate to 60 I was power limited again, and for much longer.

This seems to be a battery temp or load over time issue. I pushed the battery harder, forced it to limit power for longer, and it responded by limiting power much lower in the band that I have been able to reproduce on a daily basis.

Probably not good news, @Don TLR @BigNick @vesder21 - Got my car back from service with this note:

Concern: Customer: Power limiting is still there, ongoing concern.
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service
Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
Technician reviewed logs for dates provided and verified vehicle was thermal limiting to decrease wear on the drive unit. Verified no alerts or faults present at time of service.

So it sounds like the power limits are coming from a failed drive unit. I hit this multiple times every day and got the car back with the same problem; I don't know why they don't want to fix it but this sounds like it's going to need fixing sooner or later. This morning it was low 60s temp and I hit the limiter less than 5 minutes out of the garage, so it's not just a matter of thermal loads - any ambient temp can cause it so the thermal issue is a hardware fault.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99