Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power limited only at 80+ mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was there any resolution to this?

I just noticed this happens in my P yesterday when my SOC was about 20-30%. I had been driving for a while and when I gave the accelerator a good tap I had the yellow lines show up about 300kw My speed did not matter I was around 40 mph on the highway. Temperature out was 40-50's cant remember exactly however I don't think the battery was totally cold as car was garaged and I had already drove 20 minutes. After charging I did not notice the issue again once I started driving with SOC at 79%.

No resolution yet, "It's protecting itself from thermal damage" was what my service center finally admitted but no attempt to fix it or even admit there's a problem. Most likely I'll need a drive unit replacement eventually, several times since this thread was posted I've had red ParK/Drive icons and been unable to move for a few minutes until it recovers itself - other threads here also point to drive unit replacement coming for that too, but service center says it's nothing. Maybe if I eventually need to have it flatbedded in to the S/C they'll diagnose the problem for real, until then their standard response is an unsaid "go away" and no actual work done to fix it. They seem so overworked and understaffed I'm not even sure it's been looked at yet to be honest - the only time I got an answer that wasn't "go away" was when I showed a tech the videos at took that make it clear this isn't temp or % limiting.

I always got limiting below 50F temps and low states of charge so hopefully you're OK. This issue has happened to me at every SOC from 100% to 10% and every temperature from 100F to freezing and has nothing to do with either.

Don’t expect a resolution. My 85 does this... after arguing with the SC for weeks I got zero resolution

Ultimately I got a email from Tesla corporate saying the cooling systems were not adequate and have since been revised and I could upgrade to a newer Tesla. The problem is something is overheating causing the car to limit power. They would never give me a straight answer.

Well that's disappointing, especially since everything was fine until I had the battery contactors go out - then power was severely limited, and even after repair it never fully returned. Meaning that either they never fixed the battery contactors issue, or they broke something else during the repair and refuse to admit it.

I've been losing about 1% of range per month since this started too, though I rarely range charge to check it's down 8% since the initial report last summer, and loses a tiny bit more every time I need 100% for a trip. If that's related, them ignoring it is just speeding along the inevitable tow.

As they get old they will limit more. I have seen it as high as 65% SOC. They told me the cooling system was not sufficient and to turn off regenerative braking and avoid prolonged acceleration...

Here is what Tesla customer support told me:

"Mat explained all of that to me, and made it sound like you would try the regenerative and braking suggestions on your next trip, and reach back out to the service center to see how it goes. While we are extremely thankful that you and so many others were early adopters to the Model S, unfortunately, there are certain characteristics of it that are not able to be retrofitted to fix the "issue," like the one you mention. We learned from early Engineering and have improved the cars tremendously along the way, and continue to improve them every day, as you know. However, after escalating to the Regional team and masterminds behind the cars like the FTS team and Engineering teams, we have exhausted all of our options.

While I understand your frustration, at this point, beyond the suggestions Mat discussed with you, you could pursue a trade-in for your car. I would be happy to set you up with the Sales team in your area who could explore those options with you. There are many affordable "newer" Model S's and X's now through our CPO program... just a thought."

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I had to create a new account because I can't reset my old password, but I'm OP. Tesla replaced my drive unit and I still have the limiting so it's sounding like a battery failure now.

I have root and switched the display to AP so it shows the limiting with a more obvious yellow exclamation mark, and dev mode lets me see the "brick min" and "brick max" pack volt values diverge by .3v (about 20-30% state of charge, so when I test this at an 80% full pack charge, one of my battery's modules drops to 40% while accelerating).

It's also limiting power at much slower speeds now, 60s instead of 80+. Limiting.jpg

The cracks in Tesla's battery reliability are starting to show. With batterygate and stuff like this it is starting to seem like Tesla batteries don't have the longevity we first thought they did. Hopefully the newer batteries are better than these original ones, or else this is going to be a big problem for EVs. Or maybe they'll do what Audio does and reserve 15% of the battery instead of 4%.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
The cracks in Tesla's battery reliability are starting to show. With batterygate and stuff like this it is starting to seem like Tesla batteries don't have the longevity we first thought they did. Hopefully the newer batteries are better than these original ones, or else this is going to be a big problem for EVs. Or maybe they'll do what Audio does and reserve 15% of the battery instead of 4%.

What is batterygate? Many people with 2012 cars already got to well past 100k of mileage. Mine got to almost 50 before I upgraded to get awd. If you make a million of anything there will be problems, companies like toyota learn to do things to reduce even small numbers of problems. I hope tesla lives that long to get to such advancements, but at the least I'd say they have generally proven to be pretty reliable on the drive train.

Batterygate is tesla downgrading cars. 85s and 75s are being downgraded to 60 without permission and performance cars are being made slower. Supercharging has been reduced to half speed or worse and charge times are increased to 2-3 hours. Charge slowing seems to be inflicted on more people than downgrading.

Batterygate is tesla downgrading cars. 85s and 75s are being downgraded to 60 without permission and performance cars are being made slower. Supercharging has been reduced to half speed or worse and charge times are increased to 2-3 hours. Charge slowing seems to be inflicted on more people than downgrading.
That sounds terrible. Perhaps those cars were damaged some way or were supercharged some way. In any case it would be frustrating. I would guess it's rare. Lack of information on this probably makes it worse.

It wouldn't be a problem if Tesla stood behind their warranty. They've made this a reason thousands of people will never own a Tesla ever again, when they could have made it a shining example of the "world's best warranty" being the reason people would choose Tesla over other companies.
Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
"If something goes wrong, it is therefore our fault, not yours" is geat advertising, but when they do something wrong they blame us and refuse to fix their broken batteries.

• Love
Reactions: gmo43
We own an early (Feb production) 2013 Tesla S85 with "A" (original) battery pack revision.

I have also started to see the yellow dashed line under heavy acceleration, no matter the battery SOC or exterior temperature.
While the dashed yellow showed up in cold weather, it is now something that shows up consistently under full pedal acceleration.
Power does not feel reduced, the car still feels very strong (for a "slow" non-performance Tesla).

Bought the car in 2015 and it had 3% degradation, after another 4.5 years of driving it still has 97% original capacity.

Supercharging limited at 90 kW, which is the maximum for the "A" pack revision. Still achieves this rate when battery is properly warmed.
When supercharging at rates above 50 kW, the cooling fans are full blast and the car positively vibrates with the full speed fan motors running.

Very happy with our car, no complaints at all, but wanted to provide a note to this thread in case this information is useful.

Guess: It may be that Tesla firmware updates have revised the algorithms that determine power levels and part of that is displayed with the dashed line under heavy acceleration.

I've had this for years and it steadily gets worse over time. It used to only be at higher speeds, now it is under any hard acceleration and limits power as much as 120 horsepower. With root I was able to see it's a problem in battery BMB module #9 running at least 30% under the rest of the pack's power output and Tesla was able to confirm it's a failing battery, but since only horsepower is impacted right now (I only lost about 12 miles of range back when this started).

According to Tesla service, one of my battery coolant pumps had failed completely, but they didn't get any errors or log events and didn't find the failed pump until I brought the car back a few dozen times over the years. The broken pump probably caused that module #9 to fail - it looks like that one is the coolant "outlet" side of the pack and it must have gotten the most heat.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Wow, this thread started back when I still had my first Tesla, an RWD non-P 85 that exhibited this issue on occasion.

When your battery finally gives up, I hope you are still within the warranty period and can get a free replacement.

I think EV manufacturers in the future should learn from Tesla's early "85" packs and "overbuild" batteries by about 20 to 25 percent and limit their max voltages to somewhere around 3.95V to 4.00V.