Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power limits by Driving Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
How does the car limit power in various driving modes? Chill, Sport, Insane, Ludicrous?

I suppose it could limit the output to a fixed number of amps (in which case battery voltage/SOC% plays a factor across the SOC% range).
Or it could limit the output to a fixed number of kilowatts (in which case battery voltage/SOC% only plays a factor when the battery SOC% is too low to reach the kW output limit).

I assume Ludicrous = full available power as long as the amperage doesn't exceed the 1500A fuse rating (most likely the current rating is higher on newer P100DL and P90DL than on my P85DL).

I tried searching "power limits" but only got a lot of references to the yellow lines on the energy display.

I'm sure it's possible to test all of this but I don't have a nearby drag strip to do all the testing, and repeated runs would throw things off by increasing battery temps, but someone who has disassembled the software would have access to this sort of stuff?