TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Power Loss

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by DrPig2007, Aug 25, 2017.

1. DrPig2007

DrPig2007 New Member

I bought a S75 las tweek. Last night , i charged it to 80%, drove home and parked it over night.This morning the vehicle is at 75%. Why is there 5% power loss? Is such drastic power loss normal?

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Not sure of the newest cars, but older ones will easily lose 2 or 3% overnight. Search "vampire drain"

It feeds all the electronics that are pretty much running non-stop, even though the car is parked and locked.

3. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

If you turn "Energy Saving" on and "Always Connected" off and don't have any open apps pinging the car, it will sleep and use very little energy. Otherwise, the car will stay awake and you will lose 3-4% a day.

The only downside to the above setting is that it can take up to a minute to connect to the car with the Tesla app when the car is asleep.

• Helpful x 1
  4. alc

alc Member

I just posted about overnight charge loss as well. I'm seeing 3-4 miles overnight, 5-7 mile loss for 24 hours. Temperate climate (for now). 5% seems like a lot.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

I prevent the loss by putting a Ctek battery minder on the 12v battery while parked in my garage. 0% loss overnight.

The Ctek pulls 21 Watts continuously from the wall feeding the parasitic loads of a parked car.

This is the only "charging" I'm doing at home these days... I use UMC at work and other chargers around town for my main juice.