Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power of D.C.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We probably need a new topic for James' GTM project.

Electric GTM on my mind - FFCobra.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Wild GTM - LOTS of pics - FFCobra.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

James, Otmar can deliver the motor power, but watch out for the drive-line components between the motor and the wheels.

Let's not repeat the Suck Amps Going Postal story.
Otmar whipped out his handheld computer and patched into the Zillas to check the configurations. They were set at 800A each (tuned down from 2000A each for break in and initial run). Otmar then explained some of the finer points of his controller's settings and made some suggestions on configuration changes.
Get this! The two 2000A Zilla controllers on "Gone Postal" were set up independent from each other. One to handle the front 9" ADC, and one for the dual 9" ADCs in the rear. This way each system can be tested separately, and they have the option of running on just the front, just the dual rears, or both. What we discover from Otmar is that the controllers can talk to each other too. This way when the front transmission is put into reverse, the rear motors are deactivated automatically. Put the front transmission back into a forward gear and the rears come back online. Otmar also set up automatic series/parallel shifting which picks the best points and changes modes when appropriate.
Rod had a sprocket slide off a shaft and a belt was thrown on the road between the hotel and the strip. He collected the parts and it looks like there was no major damage.
down about 3/4 of the track, one the rear belts tracked off and caught (but thankfully didn't get damaged). When the belt caught it grabbed the motor momentarily, causing the controllers to go into seize mode, shutting down power to both the rear motors.
Heartbreak Hotel! Gone Postal at full power was too much for the drive shaft locking keyway. Both shafts twisted, shearing the keys in half and losing all horsepower at the wheels...
Rod launched out of the hole pulling hard against the Viper. About halfway down the track, SNAP! He snapped one of the herringbone drive belts.

Last edited:
How did the Roadster Foundry MCs work out for you? Did you have 40 amp recharging available at the track?

The charging cables were fine, but the generator we had wasn't working well. Even though it was rated 70KW, it couldn't handle more than one car at a time. We also had a time when it was shut down because of fear that it was running out of fuel, then later it was determined that there was a reserve tank and it had plenty of fuel.

Ultimately, the issue for Dave was neither cables or generators but the slow rate of topping off, dropping to only about 12 Amps as the pack got close to full. So it would take a long time to get those last few electrons in, and we found those really do seem to make quite a difference.

For both of these events, the autocross and the drag race, traction control must be turned off. TC is way too aggressive at limiting power, trying to completely eliminate wheel slip. This is true for drag racing, but especially true in an autocross. I wish there was a TC performance mode that allowed a moderage amount of slip, or when cornering allowing slip on the inside wheel but limiting it on the outside wheel. The TC combined with the open diff means almost no power during and when exiting a turn.

Turn off TC!

How did the Roadster Foundry MCs work out for you? Did you have 40 amp recharging available at the track?

They worked great. I used the 14-50 plug mostly, plugged into an adapter cable supplied by our EV club. When the generator was acting up at the drag strip, the property owner allowed me to unplug their big freezer at the concession stand for a half hour at a time to charge. It was the 3 prong 50A plug, so I'm glad I brought all my RFMC plug options with me.

But James, I want another RFMC plug option for direct generator connections. I want one that has a 50A generator twistlock connector at the end as the plug. That way I won't have to rely on using one of the EV club's adapter cables to provide a 14-50 outlet. It also may come in handy on the road if I run across a generator that's available to tap into. I can give you the exact twistlock type to use. Most of the 60-70 kW trailer generators use the same twistlock outlet.

I concur on the TC. I wanted to compare with and without, so my first couple autocross runs had TC on. My first run with it off I kicked it too hard coming out of a turn and did a donut. After getting a better feel for it I cut at least full second off my time. By the end I was power drifting through the entire S turn that was the last part of the course. That knocked another 1/2 second off my time.

There was one sharp turn that was about 135º and understeer was a problem. I would have liked to have had the adjustable suspension for that one.

To me, the TC not only activated too soon, but the bigger problem was that it didn't recover for a long time, so I would just be getting full power back as I approached the next turn.

One of 2008 owners beat the 2008 model quarter-mile time record, about 12.94 I think. I find that interesting that they could beat the 2008 record at this track on the same day I couldn't break the 2010 Sport model record.

I would expect that my 12.982 second 1/4 mile ET (103.48 mph) can be beat by more than 0.1 second. I had TC on and didn't two-foot the start on my runs that day. Does anyone know the particulars of Don Auker's 12.975 run?

For what it's worth, I think it would be better to sit out a run or two charging at 40A to get your battery pack as warm as possible, which seems to be more important than percent full.

A Glimpse Of Drag Racing’s Green Future

Spectators at the Mason-Dixon Dragway got a rare glimpse of the future as they watched electric cars rev up and silently charge around the Maryland track at speeds of more than 100 miles an hour.

The cars, motorcycles and tricycles were an eye-opener for the baffled visitors, who were more accustomed to seeing the dust, dirt and smells of traditional gas-fueled dragsters.

"Seeing them run for the first time today definitely scared me because their times are kinda close to some of my times," drag racer Travis Beall told the AFP news agency.

"Every year they are getting faster and faster,” he said.

ALeqM5i-ozQw0ZrQkHnwb2txeJspfpK14A

Last edited: