TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Power off button

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Club206, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Club206

Club206 Member

got my model 3 about a month ago and noticed a power off button on the security section. What is that? Besides the obvious. . Should i power off the car at night when i am done driving?

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

No need to use daily. It is only used when you need to force a harder reset for some bug that isn’t going away with the scroll wheel reset.

3. fr100

fr100 Member

Mine has never worked. The car just powers back on immediately.

4. YisSerL

YisSerL Member

I usually hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete myself.

• Funny x 6
  5. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Same here.

6. electrictorque

I use it before removing the USB stick.

• Funny x 2
  7. pipestem

pipestem post-newbie

That's not a hard reset, but press both thumb wheels concurrently until screen goes blank and the 'T' appears and you have the hard reset. You might need this if your screen freezes, like mine did once so far.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No you don't power it off routinely. That's why the button is hidden deep in the menus. Get out, it turns off. Get in (butt in seat and foot on brake) and it turns on. You're using ICE thinking when talking about turning a car on or off.

9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I think it does something more/different than the scroll wheel reset. When you get the “no audio” bug, the scroll wheel reset doesn’t fix the issue, but the power off button does.

10. Club206

Club206 Member

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. After I park my car at night there is a slight hum that sounds like it is still on , hence why I was asking.

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

#11 TexasEV, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    I wasn’t precise in my earlier answer. It is still on, just not drivable. How else do you think it can charge, you and Tesla can communicate with the car, the battery can be heated or cooled if it needs to be, or balanced, or whatever. Again, you’re thinking like an ICE. All you need to do is get in, drive, park, and get out. Stop worrying about whether it’s “on” or “off’ and just enjoy your car.

12. Club206

Club206 Member

Oh I am enjoying it! And enough with the ultimate insult....thinking like an ICE car.

Just trying to make sure she is running in tip top, perfect condition. I am losing a few miles of charge overnight so was just checking.

Peace!

• Like x 1
  13. Mom of 3

Mom of 3 Member

Power off button was used when I got an error after using the manual release cord for the charger lock. The Tesla Support person I called said I must wait 4 minutes after power off button for the system to fully reset, during this 4 minutes I cannot touch any controls or exit the vehicle. After 4 minutes I stepped on the brake and the error was gone!

Long story: I supercharged at Mt. Shasta and was unable to remove the charger when the charge was almost complete. After a few minutes of fumbling with the screen and charger I pulled the manual release cord. Unbeknownest to me, the cord did not retract fully. I received 3 persistent errors (pressing OK does not eliminate the messages, double button reset does not eliminate, double button with brake does not eliminate, and power off button without waiting 4 minutes does not eliminate) over the next 2 hours driving: cannot charge, charge port error, and one other one related. I drove on to Klamath Falls and found out I cannot plug in. By this time I did not have enough juice to the nearest SC in Sacramento and freaked out a little. I called support and was on hold for about 20 minutes before someone walked me over all the steps to make sure the charge port cord retracted fully and port closed. We then did the reset and waited for 4 minutes to pass before turning the car back on.

• Informative x 1
  14. RB88

RB88 Member

Do you have Sentry mode on? This will prevent the car going to sleep and result in range loss.

15. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Check the date of the post you quoted and you will KNOW the answer.

• Funny x 2
  16. Club206

Club206 Member

All good. Thanks for checking in though. Sentry mode is set to be off at home.