Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power off button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not a hard reset, but press both thumb wheels concurrently until screen goes blank and the 'T' appears and you have the hard reset. You might need this if your screen freezes, like mine did once so far.

That's not a hard reset, but press both thumb wheels concurrently until screen goes blank and the 'T' appears and you have the hard reset. You might need this if your screen freezes, like mine did once so far.

I think it does something more/different than the scroll wheel reset. When you get the “no audio” bug, the scroll wheel reset doesn’t fix the issue, but the power off button does.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. After I park my car at night there is a slight hum that sounds like it is still on , hence why I was asking.
I wasn’t precise in my earlier answer. It is still on, just not drivable. How else do you think it can charge, you and Tesla can communicate with the car, the battery can be heated or cooled if it needs to be, or balanced, or whatever. Again, you’re thinking like an ICE. All you need to do is get in, drive, park, and get out. Stop worrying about whether it’s “on” or “off’ and just enjoy your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
Power off button was used when I got an error after using the manual release cord for the charger lock. The Tesla Support person I called said I must wait 4 minutes after power off button for the system to fully reset, during this 4 minutes I cannot touch any controls or exit the vehicle. After 4 minutes I stepped on the brake and the error was gone!

Long story: I supercharged at Mt. Shasta and was unable to remove the charger when the charge was almost complete. After a few minutes of fumbling with the screen and charger I pulled the manual release cord. Unbeknownest to me, the cord did not retract fully. I received 3 persistent errors (pressing OK does not eliminate the messages, double button reset does not eliminate, double button with brake does not eliminate, and power off button without waiting 4 minutes does not eliminate) over the next 2 hours driving: cannot charge, charge port error, and one other one related. I drove on to Klamath Falls and found out I cannot plug in. By this time I did not have enough juice to the nearest SC in Sacramento and freaked out a little. I called support and was on hold for about 20 minutes before someone walked me over all the steps to make sure the charge port cord retracted fully and port closed. We then did the reset and waited for 4 minutes to pass before turning the car back on.