Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power off (via Safety) doesn’t keep power off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So about to replace my steering wheel and many folks have recommended just powering off the Model Y via the Safety screen.

Have done that, dat in the car without touching anything. But the car just automatically turns itself back on once I open the door.

I thought the car was only supposed to power itself back on when I pressed the brake pedal?

Have turned off sentry, cabin over heat, security alarm etc.

Any ideas?

You should first disconnect the high voltage battery from the Tesla Model Y. The disconnect is located underneath the second row seat (passenger side). Be sure to leave the windows lowered and don't fully close the back passenger door. There is an airbag in the steering wheel that could be triggered; you need to disconnect the 12V battery. Disconnect the negative terminal from the 12V battery, the same as if you were changing the 12V battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_TV
You should first disconnect the high voltage battery from the Tesla Model Y. The disconnect is located underneath the second row seat (passenger side). Be sure to leave the windows lowered and don't fully close the back passenger door. There is an airbag in the steering wheel that could be triggered; you need to disconnect the 12V battery. Disconnect the negative terminal from the 12V battery, the same as if you were changing the 12V battery.

Have a 2022 Model y which has the new Lithium battery. I believe, technically, one needs to disconnect the high voltage loop (front left when staring into frunk) and then disconnect the Lithium battery.

All instructions say to "pull the red clip up" on the high voltage loop and then push out the connector. For the life of me while pulling the red pin up was easy, I could not disconnect it.

I ended up just disconnecting the Lithium battery instead, after painfully removing the massive HEPA filter encasement.

Everything went well after that. Not sure why I couldn't disconnect the high voltage loop?

The procedure that @jcanoe described is what Tesla Mobile Service does when they need to work on anything electrical in the car like installing Homelink.

Yes but as I understood it you can disconnect the high voltage battery loop to do the same thing? Issue is I couldn’t get the connector to disconnect.

Procedure in this video at 6:20. Just couldn’t figure out how to pull out the darn connector.

Having said that for the steering wheel seems disconnecting the 12v lithium battery is enough (not working on anything electrical just wanted the car shut down).