Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Operated Headrests Fixed with 2022.4.5.21 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The power operated front seat headrests on my 2019 Model S are working again thanks to update 2022.4.5.21 that installed during the first week of May 2022. Thank You Tesla!

Auto Pilot is not working any better or is safer. I've adopted the name Auto Crash as part of my vocabulary. On the highway, Auto Pilot is working at its best but still needs constant, intense monitoring. Sometimes I find it less stressful to just drive the car myself.

Off the highway, Auto Pilot is awful. It is unreliable, erratic, dangerous, and, in my humble opinion, not ready for use by most drivers. Simple right-hand turns are like watching a very drunk driver at the wheel. Left-hand turns are frightening, especially at busy controlled intersections. Often, the car doesn't know what it should do. When I feel like experimenting, I wait for a location having no other cars around and nice wide streets.

Please don't take offense with my comments. I have two Tesla's, a 2018 Model 3 and a 2019 Model S. Both are full self-driving equipped. I'm optimistic that eventually Tesla will perfect Auto Pilot. The cars are outstanding machines even without full self-driving capability. And, the Model S wind noise is from the small front windows. I found that the seals at the rear top corner and at the front lower corner are the worst for whistling noises. With some weatherstrip material, black 3M Adhesive, and lots of patience the noise can be eliminated.

Dear EVRider-FL,
My 2019 Model S has the Full Self-Drive Beta installed and it is fully functional. If I behave, Tesla will not cancel my BETA participation??
Another interesting observation from a trip taken yesterday. I noticed that setting the Steering Feel to the Sport setting upsets Auto Pilot. With Sport On for steering, Auto Pilot responds to road curves with many jerky steering motions instead of the smoother steering performance it provides on the Standard Steering setting. Yes, my windshield was clean, no driving into the setting sun. Just nice and clear with light traffic on Highway 101 driving south from the Santa Ynez Valley to Costco in Goleta. The Model S, with Auto Pilot on and functioning ignored most of the speed limit signs on the 101 and blew through a couple of stop signs at intersections before I switched it off. I did the hard reboot and full camera calibrations after the most recent software upgrade, which fixed my headrests, YEAH!!
Auto Pilot is a work in progress, progress, progress, progress.....................At least it was a lot less expensive when I purchased it.