Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Optimizers? Would this adapter work? Two 30amp to 50amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, do you think one of these work to charge? Combining multiple outlets for higher amperage if on separate breakers?

There are a few RV parks that don't have 50amp, yet they have separate services on the same post. These could almost cut my charging time in half.

Conntek RV 50-Amp Power Optimizer (2) RV 30-Amp Plug to 50-Amp 125/250-Volt 14-50R Female Connector
41wdFCQZ0fL._SX425_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-50-Amp-Optimizer-250-Volt-Connector/dp/B007H5WUGI/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N9E8DF6H0X389A012FD
or
Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer 45 AMP Adapter
61HgQHXYulL._SL1200_.jpg

Amazon.com: Camco 55025 PowerGrip Maximizer 45 AMP Adapter: Automotive

These are very dangerous. When you connect this to a Tesla UMC and then to the car, a circuit is made through the two legs. What this means is that if you have both plugs plugged in, and then you unplug one of them, you will find 120v on that plug end which makes it all too easy to get a nasty shock.

There is a way to combine two 120v sources, but it requires a more advanced box to do it safely. You need a couple of relays that will de-energize a plug when only one plug is plugged in.

The first one will not work. Per the Amazon questions, both 30A circuits are combined to feed one leg of the 14-50. Your car will see 0V.

The second one will work only if the two circuits feeding it are on opposite legs. If the circuits are on the same leg, then the car will see 0V, otherwise it will see 240V. You will be limited to 240V/12A charging.

As Cosmacelf mentions, you can end up with live prongs on these plugs. Dangerous, not recommended, and against Tesla's instructions.

Thanks for all the feedback, I thought it was to risky. As much as I travel I'm thinking about trying to find a few spots in the middle of Wyoming rent and setup a HPWC if we don't get super or destinations chargers before winter hits in Evenston, Rocksprings, Rawlins and Larrimie

Others have warned about trying to combine those 120V outlets at campsites. As far as just using the TT-30 outlet at an RV site directly, there is an adapter you can use to plug your 14-50 plug from the Tesla charging cable into it. It is a 120V 30A circuit, so dial down the charging amps in the car to 24A or less, and you get a pretty decent charging rate.
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter Cord

Others have warned about trying to combine those 120V outlets at campsites. As far as just using the TT-30 outlet at an RV site directly, there is an adapter you can use to plug your 14-50 plug from the Tesla charging cable into it. It is a 120V 30A circuit, so dial down the charging amps in the car to 24A or less, and you get a pretty decent charging rate.
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter Cord

How do you get the Model S to draw 24A from 120V? I thought it's limited to 16A and only with the 5-20 UMC plug?

Cars built in 2014 and later seem to allow charging at 120v at greater than 20 amps. You just use the nema 14-50 adapter, which is what tells the car to default to 40 amps, and then you dial down to 24 amps. Cars built before 2014 seem to have a limitation that they can only charge at a maximum of 20 amps on a 120v circuit (again, using an appropriate adapter that ends in a 14-50).