TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power savers/range extenders

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by BobbyG, Aug 19, 2016.

1. BobbyG

BobbyG Member

I've seen a few threads that allude to this question but have not seen any that address it directly: Has anyone observed advantages to either the Power Management/Energy Saving or Range Mode features? I understand what each is intended to do through the descriptions provided in the Manual, however the differences I've observed seem very small. Has anyone observed larger differences or utilized either of these features in specific situations?

2. Vrrooom

Vrrooom Member

I have noticed that the power saving mode shuts down both the displays. If being parked and/or used for a while when not being able to charge, it does help a little in reducing vampire drain.

When visiting my in laws in MI, I find this useful as they only have a 110v available and no other charging options nearby. So when visiting for a week, I turn on energy saver to help ensure I can make it to a supercharger on my way out.

3. BobbyG

BobbyG Member

I agree with Vrrooom that the power saving mode helps with vampire draw, however I haven't heard or read of a good use of Range Mode other than squeaking out a couple of miles when you've cut it too close. Has anyone found a more substantial use of this feature?

4. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I've never used Range Mode, but I note that on the 90D it says it distributes torque between the two motors for better efficiency. Why wouldn't it do this all the time? Why is this coupled with reduced HVAC?