Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power savers/range extenders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a few threads that allude to this question but have not seen any that address it directly: Has anyone observed advantages to either the Power Management/Energy Saving or Range Mode features? I understand what each is intended to do through the descriptions provided in the Manual, however the differences I've observed seem very small. Has anyone observed larger differences or utilized either of these features in specific situations?

I have noticed that the power saving mode shuts down both the displays. If being parked and/or used for a while when not being able to charge, it does help a little in reducing vampire drain.

When visiting my in laws in MI, I find this useful as they only have a 110v available and no other charging options nearby. So when visiting for a week, I turn on energy saver to help ensure I can make it to a supercharger on my way out.

I agree with Vrrooom that the power saving mode helps with vampire draw, however I haven't heard or read of a good use of Range Mode other than squeaking out a couple of miles when you've cut it too close. Has anyone found a more substantial use of this feature?

Someone had said it was a good idea to turn on range mode when going for short trips in cold weather. Their reasoning was that the car would be trying to warm the battery(when not in range mode), but it wouldn't have enough time to heat it to a beneficial level, so it was just wasted energy. Is there any validity to this theory and would range mode prevent the warming of the battery?

Range mode limits HVAC power draw, allows for one motor to idle in dual motor cars and reduces or eliminates battery heating when the battery is cold. It also prevents battery warming even from shore power, so you end up toggling it all winter long …

You tend to want it on for short trips in the winter and off the rest of the time, except if you really needed maximum range.