Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Sharing for J1772 chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m putting in chargers for my company. For our tesla chargers/wall connectors the power sharing feature is a huge advantage, running one high-amperage circuit versus lots of parallel smaller circuits minimizes electrician costs and number of chargers and maximizes charging rate for the whole company. The problem is I can’t find any J1772 chargers that also had this feature for my non-tesla employees. Anyone know of J1772 chargers that can share and balance multiple vehicles on one circuit?

Dual head ChargePoint commercial stations can be installed with a single 40A circuit that will provide 32A to a single vehicle or 16+16A to two vehicles.

Clipper Creek makes "Share2" versions of their HCS-40, HCS-50, HCS-60, and HCS-80 stations that have discrete enclosures that share a single circuit. A 40A circuit provides 32A or 16+16A charging, 50A version provides 40A or 20+20A, 60A version provides 48A or 24+24A, and the 80A version provides 64A or 32+32A.

Clipper Creek also makes the HCS-D40 and HCS-D50 that is a single enclosure with two cables. A single 40A circuit provides 32A or 16+16A charging and the 50A version provides 40A or 20+20A charging. These are available as hard wired or with 14-50 or 6-50 plugs.

Enel JuiceBox (2020 version) can also be configured for circuit sharing. I don't immediately see how many units can share a single circuit. WiFi communication is required for setup and operation with circuit sharing.

If you are planning a relatively large commercial system, you should also look into Powerflex and their Adaptive Load Management system. I have used their installations and they can mix J1772 and Tesla connectors.

Elon, are you listing? Ha! Looks like Tesla just released gen2 chargers with power sharing and J1772 40A. $415. This is the best EVSE on the market!

Breaking: I ran across an article yesterday about a company with a contract win for a multi-unit-dwelling charging station install, but digging in didn't immediately reveal anything more exciting than the fact that they used solid state breakers (which is their core product) and that most of the electronics for the charging stations were located in a central control panel with the breakers. Atom Power to provide digital circuit breakers for NYC multi-family EV charging project - Charged EVs

I contacted the company (Home) with a few questions and they immediately responded and let me know that in fact they do support dynamic load sharing that would make a very economical way to install a large number of charging stations that could share a limited total system power and manage the load through charge rate and time management. This is very exciting news that there is a commercial offering that could go far beyond the 2- or 4-head units currently on the market. For a commercial type of installation, this seems to be a good fit. You might want to contact them.

Update - we just picked up 24 Tesla chargers, 12 J1772 and 12 Tesla handles. We’ll be wiring them up to 60A circuits. If your curious-

J1772 - 4 each will go to a dedicated 60A, 208V 1 Phase circuit. Power sharing means these will deliver between 40A and 16A depending on who is connected.

Tesla - 12 will go on a single 60A, 3P, 480V circuit. On each 277V phase, we’ll have 4 power sharing chargers that deliver between 60A and 16A depending on who is connected.

Tesla - 12 will go on a single 60A, 3P, 480V circuit. On each 277V phase, we’ll have 4 power sharing chargers that deliver between 60A and 16A depending on who is connected.
This is a very nice solution. The only caveat is that you'll need to be careful about voltage control for the 277V circuits because some Teslas, particularly Model S/X vehicles, are pretty sensitive when charging on 277V to any overvoltage and may also be more sensitive to voltage fluctuations at 277V than the same sized fluctuations at 240V. They reportedly will often fail to charge if you're running over 280V. Model 3/Y vehicles are apparently less sensitive.

See this thread for more info if you haven't read it already: Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

Update - we just picked up 24 Tesla chargers, 12 J1772 and 12 Tesla handles. We’ll be wiring them up to 60A circuits. If your curious-

J1772 - 4 each will go to a dedicated 60A, 208V 1 Phase circuit. Power sharing means these will deliver between 40A and 16A depending on who is connected.
You'd better not. Those J1772 ones are only allowed to go on 50A circuits maximum, not 60A. And they are based on the older Gen2 style, so they do have to all be set to the same amp level and use the twisted pair wire between them where one is the main and sets the amp level, and the other three are set to follow.

You'd better not. Those J1772 ones are only allowed to go on 50A circuits maximum, not 60A. And they are based on the older Gen2 style, so they do have to all be set to the same amp level and use the twisted pair wire between them where one is the main and sets the amp level, and the other three are set to follow.
I believe this is not quite right. I have a Gen 2 and looking to add this one, if it shows up again. The J1772 Gen 2 would be added to my system as a "Slave" unit, with the amperage indicator set to "F" (F - Slave mode - N/A, see page 22 in the Wall Connector user manual, the amperage cannot be configured for "Slave" units in a power sharing arrangement). The Gen 2 will never request more than 40A and the master must be able to supply at least that. There should be no other requirement. Perhaps someone who was lucky enough to nab one of these before Telsa took down the order page could provide the relevant reference from the actual J1772 Gen 2 user manual?

I second the caution about providing 277V to the cars. While this is supported "in theory", they don't recommend it (I know I read that somewhere a couple/three years ago when I researched this) and an overvoltage on the line could be very bad. I would provide the same 208V you are sending to the J1772 units.

In fact, I would not use Tesla chargers, rather let Tesla owners use their J1772 adapters. You get 208 VAC from two lines on a three phase circuit, so it is a bit odd to use 208 VAC for one set of chargers the way you are doing it. Add one more conductor in the line and get all three phases giving you the option of installing three separate 208 VAC sharing sets like you have with the 480 VAC three phase/277 VAC one phase setup you are looking at using for the Tesla units. Right now you are planning to run two separate sets of wires. Make them both 208 VAC three phase/120 VAC one phase and you can power everything safely.

It appears you are looking to optimize charging speed. For cars that will be connected for the better part of the day this is not needed. 16 amp/208 VAC gives you 13 miles per hour charging rate. Even just four hours gives you over 50 miles. A full work day gives over 100 miles of charging.

If cars are damaged by a 277 VAC overvoltage who will bear responsibility? I would not connect to those chargers if I was aware of the high voltage. Perhaps it is worth informing the users in writing and having them sign it?

I second the caution about providing 277V to the cars. While this is supported "in theory", they don't recommend it (I know I read that somewhere a couple/three years ago when I researched this) and an overvoltage on the line could be very bad. I would provide the same 208V you are sending to the J1772 units.

In fact, I would not use Tesla chargers, rather let Tesla owners use their J1772 adapters. You get 208 VAC from two lines on a three phase circuit, so it is a bit odd to use 208 VAC for one set of chargers the way you are doing it. Add one more conductor in the line and get all three phases giving you the option of installing three separate 208 VAC sharing sets like you have with the 480 VAC three phase/277 VAC one phase setup you are looking at using for the Tesla units. Right now you are planning to run two separate sets of wires. Make them both 208 VAC three phase/120 VAC one phase and you can power everything safely.

I reread your post and realize you have 12 J1772 "handles" and while you say they will be wired on "dedicated 60A, 208V 1 Phase circuit" (4 each) that will be a 3 phase circuit. In North America that's how 208 VAC is provided, as a 3 phase circuit. So 4 each on each pair of wires on the 208 VAC circuit for 12 units.

I strongly suggest the other units be on a similar 208 VAC three phase circuit and not a 480 VAC 3 phase circuit.

I reread your post and realize you have 12 J1772 "handles" and while you say they will be wired on "dedicated 60A, 208V 1 Phase circuit" (4 each) that will be a 3 phase circuit. In North America that's how 208 VAC is provided, as a 3 phase circuit. So 4 each on each pair of wires on the 208 VAC circuit for 12 units.

I strongly suggest the other units be on a similar 208 VAC three phase circuit and not a 480 VAC 3 phase circuit.

I did a bit more digging and found this...
The on-board charger of Model S and Model X are a bit more sensitive to 277v power supplies and can be more prone to rejecting the power supply when there are excessive utility fluctuations. It doesn’t hurt the electronics of the vehicle, but it can lead to unreliable charging experiences. As a result, we’ve largely backed off from 277 volt installations.

and this...

Model S and Model X can accept a power supply that’s at a true 277v, but a relatively small increase in voltage can result in the vehicle not charging.

I still suggest you not wire up 277 VAC to any charging units. Also keep in mind that other EVs can be connected to the Tesla connector. EVs that may not be safe with 277 VAC.

I believe this is not quite right. I have a Gen 2 and looking to add this one, if it shows up again. The J1772 Gen 2 would be added to my system as a "Slave" unit, with the amperage indicator set to "F" (F - Slave mode - N/A, see page 22 in the Wall Connector user manual, the amperage cannot be configured for "Slave" units in a power sharing arrangement). The Gen 2 will never request more than 40A and the master must be able to supply at least that. There should be no other requirement. Perhaps someone who was lucky enough to nab one of these before Telsa took down the order page could provide the relevant reference from the actual J1772 Gen 2 user manual?
It is right. I was not speculating or guessing.

Attempting to share between a standard Gen2 wall connector and a J1772 Gen2 wall connector was already tested by @StoicKiwi and the results published in this comment. It does not work and flashes a specific error code about it from the manual.

I charge from 277Vac every day on my Model 3, but I would never in a million years dream of wiring up a 277V Tesla charger for other people to use. It's one thing to do it with your own charger, where you know what you are plugging into your car, it's quite another to do it to other people, who assume the charger complies with Tesla's specifications.

The Model 3 and Y can safely handle 277V +/-10% regulation, but the Model S or X are not guaranteed to support +10% regulation on top of 277V. Their onboard charger can really only handle 277V absolute max, which doesn't allow for any line voltage fluctuations. Any potential Model S or X user will be completely unaware of the charging voltage issue, and as they should, assume anything with a Tesla charger is safe to use. But in this case, that would not be true.

Reactions: Jeepxj