Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Sharing HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, but I can't interpret what is required to match the "insulation rating" of the 3 AWG I'll be using. Here's what the Belden tech sheet says:View attachment 280924
The power wires will be carrying 240v, most standard 3awg wire I’ve seen for conduit is 600v.

I think it’s fine. Most places I find that Belden wire it’s also simply listed as 600v.

I’m not sure why there are two ratings in the signal cable. Sorry, above my pay grade.

I’m not sure why there are two ratings in the signal cable. Sorry, above my pay grade.
Suspect the higher voltage rating is the exposed jacket, the lower rating is for the individual wires within the jacket.

For our single HPWC install, I had the electrician run the signal cable to the HPWC, then leave the reel in an accessible area under the roof. Should streamline second HPWC install when and if we need it.

The Roadster (the current one) maximum charge current is 70 amps. You can plug it into an 80 amp capable EVSE, of course, but it will only draw 70. (Early Roadster software had a bug which prevented it from connecting to an 80 amp EVSE, but that's been fixed.)
Clipper Creek CS-100's can be toggled between a 70 or 80 amp pilot signal with the front panel button for that very reason.

• Informative
Reactions: gregd
Clipper Creek CS-100's can be toggled between a 70 or 80 amp pilot signal with the front panel button for that very reason.
Oops, forgot to edit this post in time to add a photo. At the risk of going too far off topic, there are two CS-100's at the Flat Street garage in Brattleboro, VT (free electrons; parking is 30 cents/hour). This picture from the plugshare listing shows how to switch modes:

56121.jpg

Page 6 and 16 of the installation instructions discuss grounding pin 4 to enable this 70A mode.