Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power sharing with TWC Gen 3 and Tesla J1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The product descriptions for the TWC Gen 3 and the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector both say they are capable of power sharing with other Wall Connectors. But, can they power share with one of each? I know power sharing doesn't work between Gen 2 and Gen 3, but I haven't seen anything pro or con for Gen 3 and J1772.

The product descriptions for the TWC Gen 3 and the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector both say they are capable of power sharing with other Wall Connectors. But, can they power share with one of each? I know power sharing doesn't work between Gen 2 and Gen 3, but I haven't seen anything pro or con for Gen 3 and J1772.
I have this exact setup in my garage 😎. Power share via WiFi works perfectly. In my case I have the J1772 set as the leader and the Gen 3 TWC is the follower. Each on their own 60 amp circuit.

Thanks, @Cosmacelf and @240vPlug ! My teen soon-to-be driver will likely be cashing in on a promise I made years ago: that if she could keep straight A's in high school, I would buy a car for her (at the time, something that seemed highly improbable). I'm considering something like a 2018 Leaf, so we'll be a 2-EV family.
Tesla Model Y! Or at least a Bolt.

Reactions: cdswm3
Tesla Model Y! Or at least a Bolt.
Another Tesla is way beyond my budget (still making $999/mo payments on my MYP). Emergency braking, lane deviation warning, TACC, are mandatory. The Leaf is the only EV around $20k that has that. If I'm wrong on that, someone please clue me in! Besides, I was happy with the 2014 Leaf I had before the MYP (although I could never go back now!), until I moved from the Bay Area to the foothills, where the winters are colder and everything is farther away.

Sounds like your set on the leaf...but...if you reconsider....for slightly more....you can get a Tesla model 3 which is a much better car. The leaf does not have active thermal management for the HV battery! The bolt EV is a good car but doesn't have TACC. The TM3 will check all boxes and you should be able to get one for 30ish used. Even the bolt is a much better car IMO. Your choice of course...but lack of active TM for the battery would be a deal breaker for me.

Sounds like your set on the leaf...but...if you reconsider....for slightly more....you can get a Tesla model 3 which is a much better car. The leaf does not have active thermal management for the HV battery! The bolt EV is a good car but doesn't have TACC. The TM3 will check all boxes and you should be able to get one for 30ish used. Even the bolt is a much better car IMO. Your choice of course...but lack of active TM for the battery would be a deal breaker for me.
Good advice, but I shudder at the thought of a teen driver in a TM3, even in chill mode. Also, the used EV tax credit is only for vehicles up to $25k, so the price of a TM3 is almost double the net price of a circa 2018 Leaf. It would be way cool to be a 2-T family, but even the Leaf will be a big step up from the 2000 Accord that she will be learning in.
I am intimately familiar with the Leaf’s battery issues. I bought my 2014 with 11/12 battery life @ 17k miles. Original owner frequently charged to 100%, I imagine. I sold it with 10/12 battery after 5 years at 55k miles, with level 2 charging to 80-90% being the norm. From the kWh:% charge ratio, I figured the 24 kWh battery was down to 16 kWh, which was good for 60 miles with a comfortable reserve in warm weather. When winter came, that’s when I knew it was time for the Tesla. Getting back to my teen, I see a Leaf’s limited range as a safety feature.

Most prospective buyers know the Leaf’s battery issues, and the used prices on Leafs reflect it. So despite my primal urge to get another Tesla, I think I’m going to end up with a Leaf with a 36kWh or greater pack. But, of course, if I hit the lottery, the equation changes 🤑

Now, getting back to the original thread, I’ll need to price out the costs of adding the Tesla J1772 charger vs. repairing my broken Juicebox and running another circuit across the garage. Thanks for all the good info!

I personally see exactly why you're going with the LEAF, and think it will work for you. Since there's a fairly robust 3rd party battery replacement/upgrade availability, batttery degradation isnt too big a worry.

I will note in passing that a Model 3 SR in chill mode is pretty darned chill when it comes to acceleration. Not a LEAF, but definitely tamer than any of the Model Ys or other Model 3s.

• Disagree
I personally see exactly why you're going with the LEAF, and think it will work for you. Since there's a fairly robust 3rd party battery replacement/upgrade availability, batttery degradation isnt too big a worry.

I will note in passing that a Model 3 SR in chill mode is pretty darned chill when it comes to acceleration. Not a LEAF, but definitely tamer than any of the Model Ys or other Model 3s.
Thanks for the tip on the 3SR. Maybe by the time she’s ready to drive, a 3SR might drop into the feasible price range.

Thanks for the tip on the 3SR. Maybe by the time she’s ready to drive, a 3SR might drop into the feasible price range.
Another nice thing about a Tesla for a new teen driver are the speed limit features, both being able to set an audible warning for speeding and being able to set a maximum speed that the car won't exceed. You can make it chime at 5 miles over the speed limit and set a maximum of 70mph overall, for example.

It can be annoying, though. I've got a one block stretch of road that is the main access for my neighborhood where the speed limit is 35, but Tesla's database thinks it's 20mph. So, if I turn the audible speed limit warning on, I'm guaranteed to trip it every time I leave home. Ironically, the speed limit in the other direction is correct, so all's fine coming home. Needless to say, I have it turned off.

Reactions: Whiskeypapa
Question, could you not just get a tesla to J1772 adapter and use a Gen 3 standard? That is what my current thoughts are since I am working on installing 5 Gen 3 wall connectors.
That would work. My personal preference is to not use an adapter as a full-time solution. The adapters that I have seen are much longer than the ones for plugging a J1772 L2 plug into a Tesla. I don’t like the leverage it would add to the J1772 connector on the car. The 1772 connectors are already more prone to problems than the Tesla plug, from my experience. I’ve also seen an adapter with a short pigtail between the connectors, but I’m paranoid that the coupling might rub on the side of the car.

Reactions: Rocky_H
That would work. My personal preference is to not use an adapter as a full-time solution. The adapters that I have seen are much longer than the ones for plugging a J1772 L2 plug into a Tesla. I don’t like the leverage it would add to the J1772 connector on the car. The 1772 connectors are already more prone to problems than the Tesla plug, from my experience. I’ve also seen an adapter with a short pigtail between the connectors, but I’m paranoid that the coupling might rub on the side of the car.
I ordered a tesla Gen 3 with the J1772 plug as the standard. I really would rather not use adapters, and since I have 4 Gen 3 tesla connectors, figured I wanted one that was to just charge non tesla cars at my house. :)

Reactions: Whiskeypapa
I ordered a tesla Gen 3 with the J1772 plug as the standard. I really would rather not use adapters, and since I have 4 Gen 3 tesla connectors, figured I wanted one that was to just charge non tesla cars at my house. :)

What're you going to do when J1772 dies and everybody goes to NACS? Tesla Gen 7 wall connector should be out by then... but then it won't match your white Gen 3s. 😲