Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power side mirrors retrofit: has anybody done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofitting Power Side Mirrors Now Available!

I've been told by my Service Center that retrofitting the power mirrors is now available. The work that is required to perform the retrofit apparently is dependent on when the car was manufactured. My car was built right before the power mirrors became available so apparently the wiring is already in the car. Has anyone had this work done yet? And if so, how much were you charged (if you don't mind me asking). Thanks.

I had my mirrors replaced with the powered ones about two weeks ago. I have a situation where I travel by ferry several times a week, and folding the mirrors is sometimes necessary. It's OK when there are two of us in the car, but a commotion when driving alone. It's the two mirrors and the control unit in the drivers door. With my VIN they had to replace harnesses in the doors . The car was in for annual service, and the door panels were off, so there was some labor savings. Expensive, but worth it to me...
Now in the Tech Package for about $250 more than before, but I've had the thrill of driving the car every day for a year.
Where could you go and get your car updated with new stuff at any price... :smile:

Alan

I had my mirrors replaced with the powered ones about two weeks ago. I have a situation where I travel by ferry several times a week, and folding the mirrors is sometimes necessary. It's OK when there are two of us in the car, but a commotion when driving alone. It's the two mirrors and the control unit in the drivers door. With my VIN they had to replace harnesses in the doors . The car was in for annual service, and the door panels were off, so there was some labor savings. Expensive, but worth it to me...
Now in the Tech Package for about $250 more than before, but I've had the thrill of driving the car every day for a year.
Where could you go and get your car updated with new stuff at any price... :smile:

Alan

And how much did it cost?

I had the folding mirror retrofit done. My car VIN is early so they had to replace wiring in all four doors. You can see the cost breakdown below:

2hhp086.jpg

I'm confused by Tesla's pricing here (again). The tech package price increased $250 to include power folding mirrors (and maybe other stuff?) yet the parts are nearly $1,900 when you have them installed later? Aren't they thus indicating that the existing mirrors are $1,650 to replace?

Power mirror folding is available in tech package for new order S without blind spot assist integrated in the mirrors. It made me think the blind spot assist will not available in near future or Tesla will use blind spot sensors on front and rear bumpers instead of this. What do you guys think?

I'm confused by Tesla's pricing here (again). The tech package price increased $250 to include power folding mirrors (and maybe other stuff?) yet the parts are nearly $1,900 when you have them installed later? Aren't they thus indicating that the existing mirrors are $1,650 to replace?

$250 is the marginal difference between non-folding and folding mirrors. You can see above that each folding mirror package is $516. How much do you think the non-folding mirrors cost each? Maybe $400-$450?

And it's not like you can sell/trade-in the non-folding mirrors for a credit.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that price above includes four extra door harnesses (plus labor), that I assume later VINs do not require, so keeping everything the same, looks like you can take $550 off that invoice total as well as a chunk of the labor costs... so I'd say if you don't need those 4 door harnesses, you're looking at maybe a $2000 retrofit.

For $3000 I'll get out and fold the mirrors myself. Cmon people. There's better ways to spend your money than blow it on retrofitting electronic folding mirrors. if you're really lazy you probably could just take a lacrosse stick and roll down the passenger window, hook the mirror, and pull it in all without removing yourself from the drivers seat.