Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering Failure VCFRONT_a522 + Warranty Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After not driving my 2018 Model 3 for 10+ days the steering wheel is so tight that the car is undrivable. Got the error Condition detected with a vehicle controller VCFRONT_a552. Warranty expired on 9/9 and noticed the error on 9/14. Assuming the actual issue happened while still under warranty but since I was away and not driving the car I didn't notice it until after. This is the 3rd time in the past year I've had a VCFRONT error with the first 2 being A/C issues. Closest service center is 2 hours away and Tesla has told me I'm on the hook for towing + repair costs. Any ideas for a potential fix or am I just out of luck?

That is a very difficult situation. Ultimately you probably have no choice but to have it towed to the service center. One thing I would try before doing that though is jumping or replacing the 12v battery.

Furthermore, just found this upon a quick google Which indicates it’s a 12v issue.

Upvote 0
Try powering the car down from the Safety menu, leave it alone for about five minutes (don't open/close doors or touch the brakes/screen) and check it after it powers back on.

Also, an AAA premier membership will allow one tow of up to 200 miles per year. Most likely too late for that now, but something to consider in the future if you're out of warranty and so far away from a Service Center.

Personally I'd rather drive it to the SC than pay $$$ for a two-hour tow. Cars can be driven without functioning power steering. Once the car is moving, the effort to turn the wheel decreases a whole bunch. Parallel parking, or just parking in general, however, can be very tough (as can low-speed maneuvers such as lane changes or turning when stopped or nearly so.) I have owned cars that didn't have power steering from the factory and driven additional cars where the power steering belt or fuse had broken/blown.

But in the end, if you're not comfortable driving it without power steering, don't.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0