Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All done, nice and snug.

I'll check on the bolts every 6 months or so to make sure they are ok, but I have a feeling this will be a long-term fix -- unless Tesla decides to do a recall on the whole system. But from what I understand, they change it for exactly the same thing, so I might still put SS bolts on a replacement rack.
- Rob
Need Loctite thread locker, otherwise it will just fall out again.

LOCTITE Threadlockers - Henkel

I used Loctite 6XX for my front control arm bolts on my WRX when I revised all entire suspension. 7 years later all still good. I used 222/242 for rear control arms since I will remove them once and while, 222 should be good enough for PS motor bolts there.

I'm surprised by this

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Need Loctite thread locker, otherwise it will just fall out again.

LOCTITE Threadlockers - Henkel

I used Loctite 6XX for my front control arm bolts on my WRX when I revised all entire suspension. 7 years later all still good. I used 222/242 for rear control arms since I will remove them once and while, 222 should be good enough for PS motor bolts there.

I'm surprised by this

I just wanted to clarify that the bolts do NOT fall out/become unscrewed. They break at the junction between the steering motor and the mount for it on the steering rack due to corrosion/infiltration of water/salt. This isn't a matter of the bolts not being tight enough/not having loctite.

• Informative
Reactions: Brass Guy
I pulled the bolts on my 2014 and they all look in pristine condition. I’m in the northeast where they use a ton of salt as well. So its not a systemic issue. The choice of aluminum bolts is very odd, seems unlikely to be just for weight savings. The only thing I could speculate is that it was done for crash safety with the motor meant to break off. Kinda doubtful that would actually matter though.

Attachments

• 7DC0FA6B-B800-4B8A-96F2-D686BF6A0362.jpeg
    7DC0FA6B-B800-4B8A-96F2-D686BF6A0362.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Informative
Reactions: techmaven
I pulled the bolts on my 2014 and they all look in pristine condition. I’m in the northeast where they use a ton of salt as well. So its not a systemic issue. The choice of aluminum bolts is very odd, seems unlikely to be just for weight savings. The only thing I could speculate is that it was done for crash safety with the motor meant to break off. Kinda doubtful that would actually matter though.
Wow, you didn't clean that? It looks brand new! Tesla hasn't replaced your rack for any reason have they?

I just assumed that they used AL to avoid dissimilar metals.

I just wanted to clarify that the bolts do NOT fall out/become unscrewed. They break at the junction between the steering motor and the mount for it on the steering rack due to corrosion/infiltration of water/salt. This isn't a matter of the bolts not being tight enough/not having loctite.
Thats worse. Some other posted said bolts were loose though. Some high tensile SS bolts should do it as posted before but anyone doing this DIY should use thread locker on any bolt on a car.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Same thing hapened to my June 2015 69000 KM model S this weekend. The car is siiting at Montreal's SC waiting for parts that are backordered.

Wow, another steering rack bites the dust. Thanks for reporting in. Did the service center say anything about the situation or simply that they will replace it? You're still on warranty, so you're lucky. I'm really curious if they will stick to their policy of charging for this work on out of warranty cars.

Wow, another steering rack bites the dust. Thanks for reporting in. Did the service center say anything about the situation or simply that they will replace it? You're still on warranty, so you're lucky. I'm really curious if they will stick to their policy of charging for this work on out of warranty cars.

Service center did not mention any situation, just that it failed and they will replace it.
But the guy who towed my car knew exactly what hapened and that it was frequent in Quebec with the salt on the roads.

After reading this thread, I agree that they should issue a recall to install stainless steel bolts (at least in cold climates).

Service center did not mention any situation, just that it failed and they will replace it.
But the guy who towed my car knew exactly what hapened and that it was frequent in Quebec with the salt on the roads.

After reading this thread, I agree that they should issue a recall to install stainless steel bolts (at least in cold climates).
If they do a recall, it should be fleet-wide and not based on what climate zone you live in. Cars travel.

Reactions: brkaus
Really curious if the warranty replacement steering rack will come with SS bolts, or same old, same old.

If tow truck drivers are able to correctly diagnose a repeat problem on Tesla's driveability issues, then it's a well known problem!

If steering rack recall follows patterns of airbag recall, then for sure, it's regionally adjusted for criticality depending on climate conditions.
Takata's blow too violently sooner in warm humid climates. Everyone in Florida will get their Tesla airbags replaced before we see them Alberta Canada.

Really curious if the warranty replacement steering rack will come with SS bolts, or same old, same old.

If tow truck drivers are able to correctly diagnose a repeat problem on Tesla's driveability issues, then it's a well known problem!

If steering rack recall follows patterns of airbag recall, then for sure, it's regionally adjusted for criticality depending on climate conditions.
Takata's blow too violently sooner in warm humid climates. Everyone in Florida will get their Tesla airbags replaced before we see them Alberta Canada.

Right now, SCs are replacing the steering rack with exactly the same parts (aluminum bolts)...

Please inform Transport Canada about your failure. My replacement steering rack has exactly the same bolts as the original one and was not coated with any protective stuff. I just received my stainless bolts and will be swapping the aluminum ones out soon.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and sakimano