TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Power Steering falling apart

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Brass Guy, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cvrcv

cvrcv Member

My power steering motor fell off while attempting to pull out of my garage this morning. 12/2015 delivery, 15k miles. I was going to replace the bolts myself on the Saturday after the recall announcement, but I decided not to given Tesla was doing a recall.

Was almost impossible for me to steer it. You never realize how heavy the Model S steering is, because the power steering turns on as soon as you open the door.

Also I don't see FSD is going to work without dual redundant power steering motors. Single point of failure.

• Informative x 1
  2. mongo

mongo Active Member

#282 mongo, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    The 3 has dual motors electronics on the rack, so it has that going for it.
    From a failure POV, the bolts shearing is mechanical, just like all the other single point mechanical failure modes in the front steering/suspension (tie rod ends, ball joints, arms).
    FSD may end up requiring annual vehicle checks.

Edit: corrected my memory thanks to @MP3Mike

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I've seen people state that, but I haven't seen any proof of it. (I think it all stems from people thinking that the second hump in the drawings is a motor when I think it is the control unit.)

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Doubtful. There are so many single points of failure...

Why should it matter if it is FSD or a human driving. Both can do the same thing, attempt to steer to the side of the road and stop. Why would FSD need more redundancy than a human?

• Like x 1
  5. mongo

mongo Active Member

Good catch. Just rewatched Model 3 Teardown - What's under the Frunk? to confirm my memory. It has dual power and communication feeds to one motor unit.

So electrically redundant, but not mechanically.

• Helpful x 1
  6. mongo

mongo Active Member

In this case, if the motor falls off the rack, FSD can't steer to the side of the road (driver still has direct mechanical connection). If they can get the occurrence number down, the RPM will be much better...

• Like x 1
  7. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Sure about the «communication» part? S and X has a new rack too, with an extra power cord related to the new e-fuse. But no redundant canbus wiring as I recall

8. mongo

mongo Active Member

Not sure at all actually, just re-listened to the video, it mentioned two motor controllers, not two comm links. So I could definitely be wrong on that. It does have dual power though!

9. TrackDayHookey

Follow up: I followed the suggestion to do an executive escalation and it paid off. Two days after I escalated, Tesla found a steering rack for me and did the repair under good will. They also replaced the carpet in the back that was moldy from rain filling the rear hatch on occasion, and lots of other wear items were replaced. So "go ugly early" is how you get results, sadly. I still recommend that anyone with a recall-era S get the issue resolved ASAP.

• Like x 1
  10. GASP

GASP New Member

Hi folks, i was following the discussion very briefly, but sometimes was a bit surprised about old/used aluminium screws being almost pristine and others with a quite creepy shine. I´m wondering if there are probably different grades of aluminium screws available?

11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I suspect its more of what type of salts were used on the roads.

• Like x 1
  12. GASP

GASP New Member

Well, the ones with the "crispy" surface of salt residuals most probably. However, the different staining in the almost pristine contition (... those without any corrosion marks) are somehow surprising - no? Some have brown brass type tinge, others grey or silver shiny.... - or is it just related to the more or less bright ambiance?

13. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I think they said that Ca salts were more corrosive.