Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is changing that belt. It involves removing the steering rack and disassembling it. Here is a cut away view of a similar rack.

belt drive.jpg

My problem is identical. My belt has some damage and squeaks a bit. Decided to have a look because I can’t get it in till next Monday. Replaced with bolts so I can drive it for repair instead of trailering it. I wish I had seen post sooner before mine broke. It had just had a safety check at Service Center a month before. Probably should be something that should be checked. Mine looked like only one bolt was left attached when it failed. Because of the weight of a tesla it is a safety issue for smaller drivers. All Tesla’s should have those bolts changed at about 100,000 km especially if exposed to salt.

Reactions: scottm and mrElbe
Thanks to all for the sleuthing and pix.
I inspected my PS unit and found nothing loose.
Lotsa road debris sitting in the pan and normal surface oxidation on the aluminum. We don't use salt on the roads in WA.
I think I will replace the bolts as preventative maintenance.

I do have a question regarding the top side aprons and the elastomer hood (bonnet) snubbers - How do you feed them back through the holes when re-installing the aprons?

Thanks

Thanks to all for the sleuthing and pix.
I inspected my PS unit and found nothing loose.
Lotsa road debris sitting in the pan and normal surface oxidation on the aluminum. We don't use salt on the roads in WA.
I think I will replace the bolts as preventative maintenance.

I do have a question regarding the top side aprons and the elastomer hood (bonnet) snubbers - How do you feed them back through the holes when re-installing the aprons?

Thanks
The little rubbers are kinda a pain you can use a small screwdriver and work the rubbers through the holes you can add some Vaseline to them to prevent them from getting cut when working with them also they unscrew off but are a pain to screw back on also have to get them to the right height again for hood alignment

Couple of questions:

- supposing my bolts are all intact... what do you think are the odds of successfully getting them backed out to replace with SS bolts without snapping the originals off? I would use some penetrating lubricant (Moovit or the like) and let it soak in for a day before putting tools to it.

- supposing one or two bolts have corroded and fallen out, but the remaining ones are holding fast so the motor is still in good alignment no power steering issues (yet).... What if I were to get the two parts spot welded together, along their mating edges, in a few places around the motor. I know this would make it difficult in future if they ever needed to be separated... but if the fix for rack is "new rack" ... then have I got anything to lose anyway? (I'm guessing these are two aluminum parts that would require aluminum welding, which is not your average skill.)

I'd coat the bolts with a thick layer of anti seize compound.

Putting steel bolts back in with anti seize is going to change the torque characteristics. Screwing into aluminum ... go easier or risk stripping the threading.

Also ... lock washers would be a double must with anti seize applied, when re-assembling.

Also... are you guys running a bead of sealant around the joint to prevent further moisture incursion, when bolting it back up, what kind - RTV, or recommendation ?? A setting or non-setting sealant better for bonding with non-clean / corroded aluminum surfaces along a crack?

Last edited:
Interesting stumbling on this thread, I believe my P85D with just under 40k miles just had this failure. Power steering went Saturday night as I tried to pull it out of my garage. Got the warnings about parking assistance unavailable and power steering reduced. Had it towed to Tesla Monday and they told me yesterday that they were ordering a new steering rack.

Thank God this happened while I’m still under warranty. That extended warranty is looking more and more appealing.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Oh, and I just updated my sig to show VIN range...

I think we should all do us a favor and indicate the vintage of our cars to help explain the range of vehicles that are exhibiting problems.

And putting a location in your profile would give us an idea of typical environmental conditions faced... For this "EPS motor bolt failure" issue, seems northern / road salt / corrosion related.

Time to shop for steel grade 8.8 M8-1.25 at 65-70mm long .. stainless steel better?

Cadmium coated better?

Who knows bolts better than anyone else?

Last edited:
I phoned Land Rover to see if I could source a steering rack, or maybe just the belt...
Nope, they need to have a part number that starts with LR.. Not BJ... as seen in this thread.

However, it's clear that BJ32.. is not totally strange to Land Rover... Here's an Evoque
Capture.PNG

Look familiar!? Of course, Bosch makes all these racks.

Hey Bosch!! Your rack is dissolving in my car!!! Use better bolts while you're at it!!!

Found a potential manufacturer supplier of a belt

http://www.dayco.com/electric-power-steering-belts

Would be nice to know (and post here) if someone get a P/N for a belt that fits our babies!!

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread! Just checked my rack and everything looks good. P85D 2015 VIN: 73xxx
Hey thanks for looking good to know your ok I would still replace the bolts with steel just because it's ok now doesn't mean they won't fail in the future
Just took some pictures of the tesla loaner eps while our model X is getting repaired vin 89xxx P85D still has aluminum bolt this car has 40xxxkms on it
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 230
I suggest changing to steel bolts as soon as possible. "Looking good" can be 1 minute before the bolts shear. Even replacing with steel bolts could be a problem trying to remove the current aluminium bolts without breaking them. Be prepared to have drill and "easy out" handy.
This bolt replacement should be by now a pro-active Tesla campaign for all northern States and Canada or any salt environment.

They don't look that way in the photos.
Can anyone who has preemptively removed and replaced these bolts weigh in here?
I'm getting ready to change mine and don't want any "shoulda left well enough alone" surprises.
Thanks
MDR

Reactions: bhzmark