Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like "Spray on Truck bed liner" to me...

I am still working to remove the tub and frunk liner on my wife's 2015 pre-facelift S85D.
I have removed the long panels on both sides that lift over the "mushroom" fasteners.
I have popped off the two panels above the nose cone.

The tub is very solidly in place...
What are the next steps please...?

Thank You, Shawn

It looks like "Spray on Truck bed liner" to me...

I am still working to remove the tub and frunk liner on my wife's 2015 pre-facelift S85D.
I have removed the long panels on both sides that lift over the "mushroom" fasteners.
I have popped off the two panels above the nose cone.

The tub is very solidly in place...
What are the next steps please...?

Thank You, Shawn

Shawn, once you've unscrewed all the hex bolts holding the tub in place (I'm assuming you've taken out the insert at the front), pull the tub up from the back of the tub (back of the car). There are two tongues that fit under the plastic piece in the front of the car, and by lifting it from the back, you're able to pull it up and out.

Good luck!

Hi Zax,

Thank you. I am guessing that the bolts are at the back of the tub close to the windshield - right?
That means that the mesh plastic piece at the rear of the tub comes out too as it's probably covering the bolts..

The light and emergency rip cord come with the tub? Is there enough slack in the cords to unplug them?

Thanks again for the help! I don't want to break any more pieces than necessary.

It looks like I will need some of those "Christmas tree" fasteners. They seem to lose their bite after a few cycles...

Thanks again, Shawn

Hi Zax,

Thank you. I am guessing that the bolts are at the back of the tub close to the windshield - right?
That means that the mesh plastic piece at the rear of the tub comes out too as it's probably covering the bolts..

The light and emergency rip cord come with the tub? Is there enough slack in the cords to unplug them?

Thanks again for the help! I don't want to break any more pieces than necessary.

It looks like I will need some of those "Christmas tree" fasteners. They seem to lose their bite after a few cycles...

Thanks again, Shawn

There are two plastic fasteners holding the panel with the frunk-pop button and the light. You need to remove those fasteners, then unplug the wires going to the light and button after lifting the panel up and out.

You need to remove all the felt pieces as they cover bolts in various places. Once the bolts are loose, the tub will come out quite easily.

Hi Zax and All,

I was able to replace the bolts last night in my wife's S-85D.
The power steering motor and the bolts were very clean.
There were 28,000 miles on the car.
Perhaps the dual motor setup kept the power steering rack cleaner.
The bolts were pristine. I was worried that when they broke free that they actually broke off.
Thankfully that did not happen.
I replaced them with SS bolts, SS washers, SS lock washers, RTV clear silicone caulk, and Locktite threadlocker.
They will be stable for many years.
Bolts.jpg
Thank you all again,

Shawn

Hi Scott,

Those were the ones that came out. Even in person they look a light shade of gray.

I wanted to show in contrast to others seen here there was no "powder" from the dissolving aluminum.

They were very clean and I am glad they are out of there...

Shawn

Another failure here ...no noticable prior strange steering sounds, just a clunk followed by clanks and a whining sound like a dentist drill, numerous "car needs service" warnings and loss of power steering. I was able to slowly and noisily drive to get out of my underground parking and flatbed the car off to the Montreal service center.

This would be incredibly dangerous if it had happened at the wrong time.

• Informative
Reactions: P85Dave
You would think ... especially since proactively fixing the issue with steel bolts and sealer is a few dollars and replacing the entire steering rack is $3-4K. Never mind the safety issues and full recall and PR cost if somebody gets killed.

Reactions: mrElbe
mrElbe - will do, was just waiting for confirmation from the SC. They currently have four other cars ahead of me with the same problem - no steering racks in stock at the moment and no firm idea of a repair date. They also confirmed that the replacement unit will be the original model but noted that they do seal the units now.

The good news is that I got a new 100D loaner, so no need to rush things ...

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and mongo
They should be able to easily replace this bolt during annual service -- right? That will hardly cost them anything as the car is already in for service and the customer is paying for the service. Small things like this would really add value to the annual services.
Annual services are a complete joke! They don't do anything other than replace windshield washer fluid and wiper blades. Unless of course, you time it right when you do have an issue.

Annual services are a complete joke! They don't do anything other than replace windshield washer fluid and wiper blades. Unless of course, you time it right when you do have an issue.

I agree. Some of the Tesla services are more expensive than for our previous ICE which is ridiculous but we suck it up and pay because we want to keep the ESA valid.

Proactively replacing these bolts would be a nice value for customers and safe Tesla a bunch too.

Reactions: Drone Flyer