Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Steering falling apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My power steering motor fell off while attempting to pull out of my garage this morning. 12/2015 delivery, 15k miles. I was going to replace the bolts myself on the Saturday after the recall announcement, but I decided not to given Tesla was doing a recall.

Was almost impossible for me to steer it. You never realize how heavy the Model S steering is, because the power steering turns on as soon as you open the door.

Also I don't see FSD is going to work without dual redundant power steering motors. Single point of failure.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Also I don't see FSD is going to work without dual redundant power steering motors. Single point of failure.
The 3 has dual motors electronics on the rack, so it has that going for it.
From a failure POV, the bolts shearing is mechanical, just like all the other single point mechanical failure modes in the front steering/suspension (tie rod ends, ball joints, arms).
FSD may end up requiring annual vehicle checks.

Edit: corrected my memory thanks to @MP3Mike

Last edited:

Doubtful. There are so many single points of failure...

Why should it matter if it is FSD or a human driving. Both can do the same thing, attempt to steer to the side of the road and stop. Why would FSD need more redundancy than a human?

Reactions: SO16 and jaguar36
I've seen people state that, but I haven't seen any proof of it. (I think it all stems from people thinking that the second hump in the drawings is a motor when I think it is the control unit.)

Good catch. Just rewatched Model 3 Teardown - What's under the Frunk? to confirm my memory. It has dual power and communication feeds to one motor unit.

So electrically redundant, but not mechanically.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Doubtful. There are so many single points of failure...

Why should it matter if it is FSD or a human driving. Both can do the same thing, attempt to steer to the side of the road and stop. Why would FSD need more redundancy than a human?

In this case, if the motor falls off the rack, FSD can't steer to the side of the road (driver still has direct mechanical connection). If they can get the occurrence number down, the RPM will be much better...

Reactions: mrElbe and MP3Mike
My steering rack failed two weeks ago just before the recall (March 2013 P85, 27k miles). The service center in Santa Barbara has had the car since then, with no ETA on replacement parts. They also think that it would be cool if I paid $2800+ to fix it. Their position is that since the recall covers only replacing the bolts, when the bolts fail and the rack dies the damage is not covered by the recall. Awesome service Tesla! I got the 8 year extended warranty, which appears to only cover annual inspections and not repairs to anything.

I advise anyone with a Model S covered by the recall to start making a lot of noise in Tesla's direction immediately. Tesla plans on putting the cost of failures of parts that are supposed to last for the life of the car squarely on backs of the early adopters. Don't let them.

Follow up: I followed the suggestion to do an executive escalation and it paid off. Two days after I escalated, Tesla found a steering rack for me and did the repair under good will. They also replaced the carpet in the back that was moldy from rain filling the rear hatch on occasion, and lots of other wear items were replaced. So "go ugly early" is how you get results, sadly. I still recommend that anyone with a recall-era S get the issue resolved ASAP.

Hi folks, i was following the discussion very briefly, but sometimes was a bit surprised about old/used aluminium screws being almost pristine and others with a quite creepy shine. I´m wondering if there are probably different grades of aluminium screws available?

Hi folks, i was following the discussion very briefly, but sometimes was a bit surprised about old/used aluminium screws being almost pristine and others with a quite creepy shine. I´m wondering if there are probably different grades of aluminium screws available?
I suspect its more of what type of salts were used on the roads.

Reactions: mrElbe
Well, the ones with the "crispy" surface of salt residuals most probably. However, the different staining in the almost pristine contition (... those without any corrosion marks) are somehow surprising - no? Some have brown brass type tinge, others grey or silver shiny.... - or is it just related to the more or less bright ambiance?

My power steering failed June 1st, only two days after receiving the official recall notice from Transport Canada. The original March recall was voluntary by Tesla, but it should have been mandatory as this is a real problem in northern regions that use salt on the roads. The bolts could have been replaced in one hour but now my car has been in service for over three weeks waiting for a new rack to arrive from somewhere (they weren't sure if it would come from the States or from Europe).

Still waiting as the parts are still showing "not shipped". I suspect there is a rash of failures and that they have run out of spare racks.

Does anyone know of an escalation procedure because this is becoming ridiculous.

Tesla just did my steering recall work as part of a visit I had for a few other issues. None of the bolts in question snapped upon removal, so it was easy out easy in bolt for bolt, no new rack required. This must be how they wish they'd all go!

Note: they are doing 5 bolt replacement. Not just the 3 on the motor on its mount... but also 2 bigger bolts, nearby but lower down that hold more of the steering mechanism together. They also coated seams in the area with a brownish yellow coating, it's kind of tacky to the touch but may harden up a bit. |

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
2015 70D, 62k miles, steering became difficult every 90 degrees. Fixed by Syosset SC in 2 days.

Attachments

• 5A453A01-CF6C-43D7-8811-332E03831DB9.jpeg
    5A453A01-CF6C-43D7-8811-332E03831DB9.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 348
Tesla just did my steering recall work as part of a visit I had for a few other issues. None of the bolts in question snapped upon removal, so it was easy out easy in bolt for bolt, no new rack required. This must be how they wish they'd all go!

Note: they are doing 5 bolt replacement. Not just the 3 on the motor on its mount... but also 2 bigger bolts, nearby but lower down that hold more of the steering mechanism together. They also coated seams in the area with a brownish yellow coating, it's kind of tacky to the touch but may harden up a bit. |
In the original post, you can see one of those lower bolts had broken as well as 2 of the motor mount bolts. Its good they're replacing them too, they are certainly susceptible to this issue. They have to (at least) unmount the rack to replace them.

I recently had the airbag recall done at my work. I spoke with the tech and asked about parts availability for the steering recall. After telling her the condition of my rack, she immediately contacted the service center and I was later notified they ordered me the rack. They said it may take a few weeks to come in. I told several people at the service center about it over the past several months, but they never seemed to think it was a critical issue. This tech however was practically mortified about it, and that Tesla hadn't done anything about it yet. I am so grateful she got the ball rolling on this.

Follow up: I followed the suggestion to do an executive escalation and it paid off. Two days after I escalated, Tesla found a steering rack for me and did the repair under good will. They also replaced the carpet in the back that was moldy from rain filling the rear hatch on occasion, and lots of other wear items were replaced. So "go ugly early" is how you get results, sadly. I still recommend that anyone with a recall-era S get the issue resolved ASAP.

How do you do an executive escalation? My car has been waiting for a new rack for a month. Thx.

2015 70D, 62k miles, steering became difficult every 90 degrees. Fixed by Syosset SC in 2 days.

My steering rack failed and was replaced in early March and today the steering intermediate shaft packed it in. Same resistance to steering at 45/90 degree positions and no wheel return coming out of corners. Luckily, SC has parts and I have a P100D loaner for a few days.