Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power steering issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2016 85D that I took delivery of in March, 2016. I noticed recently that the power steering feels clunky at low speeds. It seems to be relatively easy to steer and then almost feel like the wheels hit something while turning, only to free up as the motion continues. It almost fells like I jerked the wheel when I did not. This does not happen once the car is over 10MPH. Anyone else have the issue? Curious if my power steering system is on the brink.

I also have tried the different modes and the issue is most pronounced in the sport mode, which is the one I almost always use.

I have 2016 85D that I took delivery of in March, 2016. I noticed recently that the power steering feels clunky at low speeds. It seems to be relatively easy to steer and then almost feel like the wheels hit something while turning, only to free up as the motion continues. It almost fells like I jerked the wheel when I did not. This does not happen once the car is over 10MPH. Anyone else have the issue? Curious if my power steering system is on the brink.

I also have tried the different modes and the issue is most pronounced in the sport mode, which is the one I almost always use.
Sounds like you didn't get the recall......
Model S made prior to April 2016
Tesla Recalls 123,000 Model S Cars for Power Steering Bolts - Tesla Motors Club

Sounds like the u-joint (universal joint). Been there, done that. ~$500 to repair (unless you're under warranty).

Does it happen at roughly 90 degree increments? (the tight-loose-tight feeling in the steering wheel)

Sounds like the u-joint (universal joint). Been there, done that. ~$500 to repair (unless you're under warranty).

Does it happen at roughly 90 degree increments? (the tight-loose-tight feeling in the steering wheel)
Yes. It actually feels like the wheel is slipping in the turn, even though I am at low speed. I just made the appointment for early February.

This is a simple fix. Just pull the panels out of the frunk and spray the joints with wd40 or pb blaster on the steering shaft with the ujoints. As your spray have someone turn the wheel. Wait about 30 mins and spray again. Let it sit over night and by morning it will be smooth as silk. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Amstel44
I had this repaired yesterday. When I went for a drive with the tech, he knew right away what it was and they had the part in stock. This tells me it is a common issue. They replaced the "I-shaft lower, non isolator". The whole thing was a little over $300. Posting so if anyone else has this issue.

Turbosetch's post came a bit too late, so I don't know if that would have fixed it.

• Informative
Reactions: Amstel44