TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Power steering issue

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Az_Rael, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

So the new to us P85D had it's first issue this morning. Mr Az_Rael backed it out of the driveway then said the power steering doesn't feel right. We reset both screens and he tried to drive it around the block, but no luck. I backed it out and it feels like the power steering is intermittent. It's loose, then super tight, then loose again. No error messages.

The tow truck is on its way now and Mr Az_Rael took our truck to the airport to make his flight. (My car is at the tint shop getting tint and a few pieces of wrap replaced) There was no way I was going to drive it like that all the way down to Van Nuys.

Sigh. So is this a common problem?

2. Az_Rael

Rode into Van Nuys with the tow truck driver, who was a big Tesla fan with a Model 3 reservation.

Car was still acting up when I dropped it off at service so they were able to see what I was talking about. Will update the thread with my results in case someone else has this issue.

20170801_111550.jpg

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Banned

Why do you refer to yourself in the third person in your original post? lol

4. Az_Rael

LOL, I wasn't using the 3rd person, I am MRS Az_Rael, so I was referring to my husband in an amusing manner using my forum name.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Az_Rael

Heard back from Tesla today. They have to keep my car the rest of the week while it waits for a harness. I asked what was replaced and they said the universal joint for the power steering and a piece of the front harness.

Not sure what the full story is. Probably won't get details until I can pick the car up, unfortunately.

6. Az_Rael

Keeping this thread updated just in case someone else has this problem in the future.

Tesla called and it sounds like the car will be done this afternoon. After finally getting someone on the phone, I was able to get a partial list of what was fixed.

- removed and replaced power steering rack
    - performed 4 wheel alignment
    - replaced front tie rod
    - replaced shaft steering column
    - replaced front fascia harness.

Which all sounds like a LOT of work on a car we have owned 3 days. Seems like that CPO inspection sheet they refused to provide might have been good to see.

I will post all the final details once we get the car back and have the service order in hand.

• Like x 3
  7. Petra

Petra Member

Aww, maybe our cars became friends while they were both down there!

I'm certainly interested in hearing the final details, because that's a pretty strange problem (especially with it not throwing codes).

Our 70D has been down there for over 3 weeks... got a text today saying it's all done... but that's the 3rd time they've said that in 3 weeks, so we'll see.

8. Az_Rael

3 weeks! That is terrible. Do you usually go to the Van Nuys service center - if so how do you like it? We had been using Burbank, but the fact that Van Nuys is open an extra hour later in the evenings was making me think of switching to them.

9. Petra

Petra Member

Yeah, I usually go to Van Nuys and the people are well meaning and pretty easy to work with... I gave Burbank a shot once but my grey seats came back dirty twice (fronts were dirty, took it into the back to clean it, then rears were dirty), they put something heavy and flat on the passenger seat bolster (crushed it... it mostly returned to form, though), and they put a small rip in my first replacement upper dash piece. I switched to Van Nuys after that.

• Like x 1
  10. Az_Rael

Picked the car up today! Below is what all they had to replace:
    20170805_124522.png 20170805_124558.png

11. dragoljub

dragoljub Member

Glad you got it resolved. I would love to know what this would cost out of pocket. Did they give you a price sheet with the cost?

12. Az_Rael

Nope, just listed as $0 under warranty. I would have been interested in that info as well.