Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power steering issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
So the new to us P85D had it's first issue this morning. Mr Az_Rael backed it out of the driveway then said the power steering doesn't feel right. We reset both screens and he tried to drive it around the block, but no luck. I backed it out and it feels like the power steering is intermittent. It's loose, then super tight, then loose again. No error messages.

The tow truck is on its way now and Mr Az_Rael took our truck to the airport to make his flight. (My car is at the tint shop getting tint and a few pieces of wrap replaced) There was no way I was going to drive it like that all the way down to Van Nuys.

Sigh. So is this a common problem?

• Informative
Reactions: TorqueIt
Rode into Van Nuys with the tow truck driver, who was a big Tesla fan with a Model 3 reservation.

Car was still acting up when I dropped it off at service so they were able to see what I was talking about. Will update the thread with my results in case someone else has this issue.

20170801_111550.jpg

Heard back from Tesla today. They have to keep my car the rest of the week while it waits for a harness. I asked what was replaced and they said the universal joint for the power steering and a piece of the front harness.

Not sure what the full story is. Probably won't get details until I can pick the car up, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Keeping this thread updated just in case someone else has this problem in the future.

Tesla called and it sounds like the car will be done this afternoon. After finally getting someone on the phone, I was able to get a partial list of what was fixed.

- removed and replaced power steering rack
- performed 4 wheel alignment
- replaced front tie rod
- replaced shaft steering column
- replaced front fascia harness.

Which all sounds like a LOT of work on a car we have owned 3 days. Seems like that CPO inspection sheet they refused to provide might have been good to see.

I will post all the final details once we get the car back and have the service order in hand.

Tesla called and it sounds like the car will be done this afternoon.
Aww, maybe our cars became friends while they were both down there!

I'm certainly interested in hearing the final details, because that's a pretty strange problem (especially with it not throwing codes).

Our 70D has been down there for over 3 weeks... got a text today saying it's all done... but that's the 3rd time they've said that in 3 weeks, so we'll see.

Aww, maybe our cars became friends while they were both down there!

I'm certainly interested in hearing the final details, because that's a pretty strange problem (especially with it not throwing codes).

Our 70D has been down there for over 3 weeks... got a text today saying it's all done... but that's the 3rd time they've said that in 3 weeks, so we'll see.

3 weeks! That is terrible. Do you usually go to the Van Nuys service center - if so how do you like it? We had been using Burbank, but the fact that Van Nuys is open an extra hour later in the evenings was making me think of switching to them.

Do you usually go to the Van Nuys service center - if so how do you like it? We had been using Burbank, but the fact that Van Nuys is open an extra hour later in the evenings was making me think of switching to them.
Yeah, I usually go to Van Nuys and the people are well meaning and pretty easy to work with... I gave Burbank a shot once but my grey seats came back dirty twice (fronts were dirty, took it into the back to clean it, then rears were dirty), they put something heavy and flat on the passenger seat bolster (crushed it... it mostly returned to form, though), and they put a small rip in my first replacement upper dash piece. I switched to Van Nuys after that.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I seem to have same problem with my MS 90D after 42.000km and 20 months. The service center here in Austria has ordered spares (3+ weeks delivery time!) and told me that the steering column needs to be replaced. I was told I can still drive but driving feels scary because at low speeds the steering doesn't center. I will keep you posted.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
This has already happened twice on my -16 S. First time when the car was about four months old. Symptom was rattle from the frunk area. Rack was replaced under warranty. A few weeks later it happened again, this time you could hear a clunk when turning the wheel. Never happened to my -12 MS that I drove 48K miles so probably not caused by my driving style. I think these racks are made by ZF in Germany, not positive though.

My 2015 85D just had this issue at 36K miles. Fix was done in 1 day, so perhaps they are prepared for this to be an issue now....

Concern: Customer: feels as if the power steering is failing. It doesn't automatically straighten out after turning.
Corrections: Shaft - Steering Column - Intermediate Lower (Dual Motor) Tested and confirmed that the steering feels stiff like it is locking as the wheel is turned. Found that the steering intermediate shaft is binding at the universal joint and that the steering shaft will need to be replaced. Removed and replaced the steering shaft. Noted also during inspection that the front body grounds are corroded. Repaired both front body grounds during service visit to insure proper driving operation.
Part Quantity I-SHAFT STEERING LINK - NON ISOLATOR - LOWER (1030622-00-A) 1
Pay Type: Warranty

Just had the same issue. Strange power steering feeling during low speed driving. I live in Norway. According to the service guy, this was probably caused by moist and dirt .

Concern: Customer: The steering has gotten hard and "rykkete"

Corrections: Shaft - Steering Column - Intermediate Lower (Dual Motor)

Part 1 I-SHAFT STEERING LINK - NON ISOLATOR - LOWER (1030622-00A)

Forgot to include in my post. Model S 90D, 2016 (before facelift), about 36,000 km (20,000 miles). There's plenty of salt on the roads during winter in Norway, to keep the ice away and maintain friction. The salt, however, tends to increase corrosion on the cars.

I seem to be experiencing the same issue on an April 2015 delivery 85D with 38,000 miles. The steering seems to bind when turning, especially at low speeds. The car drives straight completely fine. Unfortunately, I live 3 hours from a Service Center so I need to find a way to get the car down there. :(