TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power steering?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by shark2k, Dec 8, 2009.

1. shark2k

shark2k Member

So I did a search before posting this and a few threads came up mentioning power steering but it was never really mentioned.

So, I was wondering if you guys think the Model S will have power steering? Talking with people in the Mini E program, they Mini E does have power steering. During my search walk_n_wind said:

from this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/2947-better-lease.html?highlight=power+steering

I got to drive MPT's Roadster back in October and the steering was definitely something that would take getting used to when the average person is so accustomed to having power steering. When I went to a Mini E meetup in November is when I found out the Mini E does have power steering. I'm curious as to how much energy that requires and how much that affects the mileage. I think power steering would probably be something that I would like to have.

So what are people's thoughts on this, i.e., do you want it? do you think it will be put in?

-Shark2k

2. OwlsCat

OwlsCat Member

Power steering...

I'm an older female, and I would want power steering. I had occasion to have to drive a car that had a stuck throttle, had to turn off the ignition and negotiate through traffic to the shoulder, and it was tough to steer with the power off, so I know what being without power steering feels like.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

For the type of car the Model S is, it will almost certainly have power steering.

For smaller sports cars, I know people that actually remove the power steering.

4. shark2k

shark2k Member

That's good to hear. I didn't know that about smaller sports cars. Thanks for that info Doug.

-Shark2k

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree. They keep saying this will go up against the BMW 5 series in terms of what you can expect. I can't imagine they wouldn't have power steering but you never know.

6. bolosky

bolosky Member

Think about this: while it's harder than you're used to, manual steering works. That means that you can get all of the energy needed for steering out of your arms (or in my case my left arm, since steering my Roadster hurts my right shoulder). It's hard to imagine that you're putting out as much as 100 watts that way, and then only for a few seconds. When the car's moving faster, it takes much less.

So we're talking about hundereds of watt seconds, which is nothing compared to a battery measured in kilowatt hours.

The power steering would have no noticable effect on range, except that it might add some weight. That and the fact that some people like manual steering on sports cars is most likely why it's not in the Roadster. I'd be amazed if the S doesn't have it.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

These days manual steering is unusual except on some mid engined sports cars.

My old Toyota MR2 has manual steering.
    My old Bertone X 1/9 had manual steering.
    The old VW beetle had manual steering.

I can't think of any front wheel drive cars that have manual steering.
    (There is more mechanism attached to the wheels to have to move, and the extra weight on the front wheels makes them harder to turn).
    The Mini-E is front wheel drive, so it has the extra weight and mechanism to move so really needs power steering.

The Elise is such a lightweight car that it can make due with manual steering and retain a "pure", "unadulterated" steering feel and still not tire you out too much. The Roadster weights quite a bit more than the Elise so it starts to test the limits of what is OK to do and still have manual steering.

Like others have said, at-speed the steering boost isn't really needed. It is slow parking maneuvers where you will really wish you had it in a heavier car.

Like others, I assume that the Model S will have power steering.
    Hopefully they have an electric power steering rack (like on Acura NSX for instance), and don't have an electro-hydraulic system (motorized pump) like I have on my Ranger EV. (It works fine but is heavier and more complicated than it needs to be).

8. shark2k

shark2k Member

That makes sense. I didn't think of those reasons, but my car (Ford Focus ZX3 manual trans) is a front wheel drive and when I let it roll forward without turning the car on I need to really use some muscle to turn the wheel.

It's not a car but I keep seeing commericals for a Honda ATV that mentions having a "state of the art" electric power steering. This question had been on my mind for a while (and, obviously, I wasn't aware that smaller cars sometimes didn't have power steering and that heavier cars did). I was never a car guy although I had an interest in cars.

Basically, I thought since the Roadster didn't have power steering the Model S might not, but since what a lot of you said, I feel better that it should.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Shark2k

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#9 tdelta1000, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  10. ShantJ

ShantJ New Member

I hope that there is an option to NOT have power steering.

11. storm9

storm9 Member

It will probably have electric power steering. Less weight. Also I hope it has speed sensitive steering it helps make the car feel a lot lighter in low speeds.

12. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Funny this thread came up...

...because I asked Tesla back in May of 2009. Of course, a lot can change in that time, but this was their response:

My guess is that the S wheels would be nearly impossible to turn @ a stand-still w/out power steering. The contact patch must be gigantic. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to remove it temporarily to confirm it's necessary :)

13. trevorlsciact

trevorlsciact Member

does anyone think that they might use drive by wire? just throwing it out there

14. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

I didn't think it was possible, but this thread has now gotten even sillier.

15. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Why is that so silly ?!?!?!? Many of the luxury manufacturers use it now .... although not for steering i guess...