Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Train Problem Service required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Well I was going to post an article about my fun adventure over the weekend installing new speakers, head unit, and iPhone 5 lightning connector for the dock in the center console, but today driving home from work I got the following error message on the VDS when I started the car: "Power Train Problem Service required".

Stupidly, I told myself I would call Tesla when I got home and attempted to drive. About a quarter down the road I noticed the regen brakes were not functioning, and a half mile down I got a "System Too Hot Vehicle Shutting Down" message. Luckily, I was able to pull over to the shoulder of the expressway. About three minutes later, when the traffic cleared for a moment I tried driving down to the corner where there was a gas station. As soon as I got into the driveway, the car stopped and would not move. I had to get out and push it by myself over into the parking area.

After an hour of dealing with AAA roadside, my membership had expired and I was not about to pay for a tow truck myself, I got a flat bed and had it towed to Fremont.

IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG

Sorry to hear about that. :frown:

Sounds like it could be the cooling fan for the motor/PEM on the intial error... after heating up regen may cut out to avoid putting charge back in, and eventually you hit the limit to shut down. (Under normal curcumstances, the Roadster would limit power during driving to avoid the need to shut down...). Did you spot the ID code on the initial error (maybe 287)?

A number of members have reported errors like this and can give more detailed info... see also the 'similar threads' listing below. good night and good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your problems, and hope Tesla can get it fixed quickly. It does sound to me like a cooling problem. Excited to hear about your head unit upgrade, as I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

If it is any consolation, you have contributed a previous undocumented (by the community) error code ID:945 (System too hot - Vehicle shutting down) that I've added to the OVMS project tracking these.

Yep, almost certainly a fan failure. I've had it happen myself - on a road trip - but fortunately the fans kept working long enough to limp home. Didn't get the shutting down message!

So it turned out to be the PEM. I was quoted about $600 for the original single fan which it has now, or about $1500 for the new double fan assembly. I opted for the double fans, as it was recommended as more reliable and provides better air flow. Should get the Roadster back early next week.

So it turned out to be the PEM. I was quoted about $600 for the original single fan which it has now, or about $1500 for the new double fan assembly. I opted for the double fans, as it was recommended as more reliable and provides better air flow. Should get the Roadster back early next week.

Yes, the new fan definitely provides better air flow - a good move to upgrade. You will find that your motor and PEM cool down faster now. The new fan is more reliable. It's also a bit noisier.

Got a scary message.......
"PowerSystem Requires Service"
Happened when I finished using a tire pump that plugs into the accessory 12 volt plug. Have used it before to correct tire pressure. Got it from Griot'sGarage Catelog. Well after figuring out everything worked except the outlet I checked fuse #32 and alas it was a blown fuse. Freaked me out after reading this thread but simple replaced fuse and fault warning went away.....

Happened when I finished using a tire pump that plugs into the accessory 12 volt plug. Have used it before to correct tire pressure. Got it from Griot'sGarage Catelog. Well after figuring out everything worked except the outlet I checked fuse #32 and alas it was a blown fuse. Freaked me out after reading this thread but simple replaced fuse and fault warning went away.....
I'm glad it was a simple fix.

I got my car back today after one month of having it at the Fremont Service Center. So glad to have it back, and am hoping nothing happens like this again.

I picked up a 12v pump myself a year ago and came across a thread that the 12v acc. port won't handle it.... tried finding one, I believe that's under 12amps, and that was totally impossible. I went with the suggestion of a forum member and bought a rechargable pump (by black and decker). Works well, just have to keep an eye on the battery and top it off every now & then.

I just went through this hell myself...
Tesla replaced the single fan with the double under warranty last year. Then I started getting PEM fault warnings (don't recall what they were.) Turns out that the PEM would not handle the upgraded fan assembly, so Tesla replaced the PEM (thankfully under warranty as well.)
A couple of months ago(outside of the warranty period) my PEM overheated and shut the car down. Tesla sent a Range out who found the fan fuses were blown and there was some burning on the fan wire connections, so he replaced the fuses and punted on the connectors (wait and see.) They said they had a bad batch of fan assemblies and that could have been the culprit.

The PEM overheated again within a few days, so this time they came and took the car. They replaced the PEM (again) and sent it back to me.
I had the car about 15 minutes and it overheated again(!) Tesla took the car back and they believe that the problem was a duct that had come loose, preventing the cooling air to reach the PEM. I am due to get the car back tomorrow and hopefully all will be well with the world.
Tesla has been great throughout all of this: they assumed responsibility for the PEM as it had been replaced under warranty- God only knows what this cost. I just miss my car :crying:

I just went through this hell myself...
Tesla replaced the single fan with the double under warranty last year. Then I started getting PEM fault warnings (don't recall what they were.) Turns out that the PEM would not handle the upgraded fan assembly, so Tesla replaced the PEM (thankfully under warranty as well.)
A couple of months ago(outside of the warranty period) my PEM overheated and shut the car down. Tesla sent a Range out who found the fan fuses were blown and there was some burning on the fan wire connections, so he replaced the fuses and punted on the connectors (wait and see.) They said they had a bad batch of fan assemblies and that could have been the culprit.

The PEM overheated again within a few days, so this time they came and took the car. They replaced the PEM (again) and sent it back to me.
I had the car about 15 minutes and it overheated again(!) Tesla took the car back and they believe that the problem was a duct that had come loose, preventing the cooling air to reach the PEM. I am due to get the car back tomorrow and hopefully all will be well with the world.
Tesla has been great throughout all of this: they assumed responsibility for the PEM as it had been replaced under warranty- God only knows what this cost. I just miss my car :crying:

Hopefully, there are no issues with my new fan assembly and the PEM in regards to compatibility. My car is out of warranty, and if there is a problem I would hope it would be covered since I paid for the replacement of the upgraded fan assembly per their suggestion.

Liquid cooling needs to come soon :)

Hopefully, there are no issues with my new fan assembly and the PEM in regards to compatibility. My car is out of warranty, and if there is a problem I would hope it would be covered since I paid for the replacement of the upgraded fan assembly per their suggestion.

Liquid cooling needs to come soon :)

This same issue popped up on my 2.5 Sport yesterday, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure that mine already has liquid cooling so the fan issue that you had is probably not the same problem I have, is that correct?