Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Train Requires Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model 3 standard range plus with 90,358 miles on it. We are getting a "Powertrain requires maintenance" error. It sets the speed down to 58 or even 54. We have a pretty steep hill on the way home and we barely made it up the hill. We have an appointment set with Tesla on 11/12, but we can't talk to anyone at Tesla for advice. Is it ok to drive if we can stay off freeways were the speed is a problem, or will we make it worse? I am assuming this will be covered under the power train warranty?

Let me know if any of you have any advise or info on this problem.

Thank you!

Yea, I agree. But we do need a car, and the 12th is out a long way. I wonder if I should try calling their roadside assistance? I don't know any other way to speed up the appointment, they are not responding so far on the app.

I would contact roadside assistance if it were me, but thats just what I would do for myself.

Yea, I agree. But we do need a car, and the 12th is out a long way. I wonder if I should try calling their roadside assistance? I don't know any other way to speed up the appointment, they are not responding so far on the app.

You can only just make it up the hill, plus it's a significant powertrain issue. Sounds plenty good enough reason to phone roadside assistance.

Update: Service did get back to us on the app, and they allowed us to bring the car in yesterday and gave us a loaner car (rather than waiting till the 12th). They have already fixed the problem. This is what they reported:

"Verified customer concern.Diagnosed and Replaced Rear Drive Unit Oil Pump. Pulled cracked data
and found DIR_a149_insufficientFlow faulted. Replacing rear oil pump. Fluid came out dirty but no
metal partials found. Removed filter and also found no metal particles. Verified Proper Operation. "

Total cost was $344.25, apparently not covered under warranty.

I am glad they got us in and fixed the issue quickly. I hope it is not a re-occurring problem. Does anyone know what "Cracked data" means?

Sounds like you found the mileage service limit of the Tesla tranny oil and filter lifespans.
90K miles may be a bit too long for any oil, even if an automaker pretends to call it "lifetime" fluid. Leaving it in that long took out the oil pump.

I have two of those, one per motor. Just made a note to drain and replace both at around 50-60K miles.

Did they mention what weight of oil was used during service?
$344.25 bought you oil change and new oil pump, but at least you are back on the road.

a

P.S.: "cracked data" could be a typo, or mechanics sense of humor.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I was hoping that the tranny oil in a fixed single speed tranny without shifting/ temperature stress of an ICE tranny would last longer than 90k miles.
With my previous ICE cars and F150 you wouldn't need to replace tranny oil until 70k+ miles.

Sounds like you found the mileage service limit of the Tesla tranny oil and filter lifespans.
90K miles may be a bit too long for any oil, even if an automaker pretends to call it "lifetime" fluid. Leaving it in that long took out the oil pump.

I have two of those, one per motor. Just made a note to drain and replace both at around 50-60K miles.

$344.25 bought you oil change and new oil pump, but at least you are back on the road.

a

P.S.: "cracked data" could be a typo, or mechanics sense of humor

Update: Service did get back to us on the app, and they allowed us to bring the car in yesterday and gave us a loaner car (rather than waiting till the 12th). They have already fixed the problem. This is what they reported:

"Verified customer concern.Diagnosed and Replaced Rear Drive Unit Oil Pump. Pulled cracked data
and found DIR_a149_insufficientFlow faulted. Replacing rear oil pump. Fluid came out dirty but no
metal partials found. Removed filter and also found no metal particles. Verified Proper Operation. "

Total cost was $344.25, apparently not covered under warranty.

I am glad they got us in and fixed the issue quickly. I hope it is not a re-occurring problem. Does anyone know what "Cracked data" means?
Another update: They just followed up with a message saying they are covering all of these costs. So zero cost to us for the repair!

It says they replaced the pump. The oil was probably ok.
"Fluid came out dirty but no metal partials found."

Dirty oil is never "OK".
Has metal particles been found, transmission replacement would have been on the horizon. The precursor to that is dirty oil that is failing to do its job.

I was hoping that the tranny oil in a fixed single speed tranny without shifting/ temperature stress of an ICE tranny would last longer than 90k miles.
With my previous ICE cars and F150 you wouldn't need to replace tranny oil until 70k+ miles.

I would have hoped for longer lifespan as well, but oil are oils. They wear and breakdown with age, heat, and use.
Maybe a little less than regular tranny or diff oils would, but somewhere in-line with 4WD transfer case oils.
No oils lasts a "lifetime". Unless, that is, "lifetime" is defined at the length of time it takes for the component that oil was lubricating to seize up and fail.

Some of you maybe familiar with Mike Miller's "old school" maintenance schedule. Many are not, so I will add a link at the bottom of this post.
Many items are not applicable to EVs, but many more are. I've followed versions of it for the past 25+ years of driving performance cars.
Tranny, diff, and transfer case oil changes are recommended in 30K mile intervals.

YMMV,
a

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
"Fluid came out dirty but no metal partials found."

Dirty oil is never "OK".
Has metal particles been found, transmission replacement would have been on the horizon. The precursor to that is dirty oil that is failing to do its job.

I would have hoped for longer lifespan as well, but oil are oils. They wear and breakdown with age, heat, and use.
Maybe a little less than regular tranny or diff oils would, but somewhere in-line with 4WD transfer case oils.
No oils lasts a "lifetime". Unless, that is, "lifetime" is defined at the length of time it takes for the component that oil was lubricating to seize up and fail.

Some of you maybe familiar with Mike Miller's "old school" maintenance schedule. Many are not, so I will add a link at the bottom of this post.
Many items are not applicable to EVs, but many more are. I've followed versions of it for the past 25+ years of driving performance cars.
Tranny, diff, and transfer case oil changes are recommended in 30K mile intervals.

YMMV,
a

We don't know what that particular mechanic even meant by "dirty", it could just be normal discoloration from heat. As well it could be dirty *because* the pump was failing. I've been around motorsports for 25+ years too, I understand things do not literally last forever and everything will eventually die of heat death in the long run. eat arbys.

Reactions: rpiotro

a

P.S.: "cracked data" could be a typo, or mechanics sense of humor.
My LR AWD now has 129k miles and still running on the original oil. YMMV of course.