Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Train Service Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GlockWorkOrnge

'20 Model Y Performance
May 18, 2021
Chicago
I am out of town and this morning I pulled into a Supercharger. After about three minutes, I received this alert: "Powertrain requires service. Vehicle speed and power might be limited."

I freaked out, but after charging it, the alert has gone away.

Cars seems fine in Chill and Sport modes.

Got it over 70 on the highway.

Booked a service appointment, but that is a week out, so I am stranded out of town.

Has anyone had a similar issue or does anyone know if the fact the alert disappeared is indicative that the powertrain is fine (I'm under the impression a major alert will stick around until cleared or serviced)?

I am praying there is nothing wrong with the powertrain--that's not insignificant.

I am out of town and this morning I pulled into a Supercharger. After about three minutes, I received this alert: "Powertrain requires service. Vehicle speed and power might be limited."

I freaked out, but after charging it, the alert has gone away.

Cars seems fine in Chill and Sport modes.

Got it over 70 on the highway.

Booked a service appointment, but that is a week out, so I am stranded out of town.

Has anyone had a similar issue or does anyone know if the fact the alert disappeared is indicative that the powertrain is fine (I'm under the impression a major alert will stick around until cleared or serviced)?

I am praying there is nothing wrong with the powertrain--that's not insignificant.
Same thing happened to me this morning in my 2021 Model Y. Tesla Service Center is telling me to put it on a flatbed and to not drive it. I saw somewhere else where a person brought their car to the service center, they did a software update, and the car was fine. I'd love to hear from any others that have experienced this warning.

Same thing happened to me this morning in my 2021 Model Y. Tesla Service Center is telling me to put it on a flatbed and to not drive it. I saw somewhere else where a person brought their car to the service center, they did a software update, and the car was fine. I'd love to hear from any others that have experienced this warning.
So I have an update! The warning went away the next day, then came back, then went away, before telling me I would be limited to 60 MPH. I brought it in for service yesterday and they are replacing the rear drive unit oil pump. There was also a problem with the subframe harness. It's done less than 24 hours later, so not a huge job. All covered under warranty. I don't know what any of it has to do with the powertrain, which was the original warning, but whatever. I will no longer be stranded in Ohio, woo-hoo!

Reactions: JonB65