Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Kit purchased from SmarTesla doesnt work [now resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a SmarTesla power trunk kit. I started to worry as soon as the unit came and had instructions only in Chinese. I contacted them though and they sent me a link to a (very long) install video in English. After previewing the video, I decided I should get it professionally installed. I asked them for a recommended installer, which after a failed couple of attempts they did get me. I therefore had it professionally installed by a local shop which they recommended to me (and which I would recommend -- Oscar at OC Customs has been great).

But every time we go up to the car and try to open the trunk, it will first try and fail (while we have to wait for it to finish), and then the second time will open. It is annoying enough that it is now an impediment to opening the trunk instead of a feature despite the cost. Oscar the installer spent quite a while trying to fix it without success. We each have worked with SmarTesla who had all sorts of time-wasting things to try like unplugging and replugging the controller, changing the opening speed, etc. None have had any effect.

After patiently trying everything they had to test and suggest, I asked them to send me a new unit to have the installer put in, and offered to send back the defective one for them to evaluate what went wrong. At that point they stopped responding at all. I called, I emailed multiple times, I even contacted their rep Tony via his Facebook account he had used when messaging me earlier. Every message I sent them has been polite. But apparently even the cost of sending out a new non-defective unit is too much of a stretch in making sure a customer has a working product, despite that I offered to send them the defective one.

I am writing to warn the Tesla community to not buy anything from SmarTesla unless you want to risk a similar experience.

Update on this:

After my post, SmarTesla responded and sent me a new kit. The new electronic controller from it (the first thing I tried as the most likely) fixed it, without replacing anything else. It now works every time (vs. the previous behavior of not working the first time every time). So that was the defective part.

They sent me a return shipping label as well which I am using to return the rest of the kit unused, as well as the defective controller for them to inspect. I appreciate that they did follow up and make things right, even though there was a delay with no response in the middle.

Chip

I purchased a SmarTesla power trunk kit. I started to worry as soon as the unit came and had instructions only in Chinese. I contacted them though and they sent me a link to a (very long) install video in English. After previewing the video, I decided I should get it professionally installed. I asked them for a recommended installer, which after a failed couple of attempts they did get me. I therefore had it professionally installed by a local shop which they recommended to me (and which I would recommend -- Oscar at OC Customs has been great).

But every time we go up to the car and try to open the trunk, it will first try and fail (while we have to wait for it to finish), and then the second time will open. It is annoying enough that it is now an impediment to opening the trunk instead of a feature despite the cost. Oscar the installer spent quite a while trying to fix it without success. We each have worked with SmarTesla who had all sorts of time-wasting things to try like unplugging and replugging the controller, changing the opening speed, etc. None have had any effect.

After patiently trying everything they had to test and suggest, I asked them to send me a new unit to have the installer put in, and offered to send back the defective one for them to evaluate what went wrong. At that point they stopped responding at all. I called, I emailed multiple times, I even contacted their rep Tony via his Facebook account he had used when messaging me earlier. Every message I sent them has been polite. But apparently even the cost of sending out a new non-defective unit is too much of a stretch in making sure a customer has a working product, despite that I offered to send them the defective one.

I am writing to warn the Tesla community to not buy anything from SmarTesla unless you want to risk a similar experience.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin