Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk lift problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 M3LR and just today run into an issue where the boot (trunk) will unlatch momentarily from the button, in car display, or app, but the boot fails to lift and just relatches. Also looks like the in car graphic shows the boot lifted slightly? No errors indicated though? Boot shuts OK as normal if you have manually lifted the boot when it momentarily unlatches. Is there some calibration routine to work through or is this going to be my 5th warranty visit the SC..?

thanks for replies everyone. Yes it is a UK model. The fault cleared this morning - strange as I'd taken no action other than booking a visit to the SC. As I mentioned there were no alerts logged. Could be an intermittent connection I guess? Not sure if there is an obstruction safety feature to stop tailgate hitting ceilings or similar that was confused? My old merc would stop if it detected movement as the boot (trunk) opened.

Have cancelled SC visit, but will update post if the saga continues.

With regard to previous issues: 2 were delivery defects with window and seals, one was a failed near side repeater camera, and latest was the BMS temperature sensor recall.

Upvote 0
Given your usage of "boot" instead of "Trunk", I am going to guess you are in Europe somewhere, OP. I havent read anything about the factory power trunk (boot) having issues, but maybe you can get mobile service for that instead of having to drive to the service centre I live on the UK's "South Island" (Isle of Wight) and the rangers won't travel here due to the high cost of ferries, over £100 sterling for a 40 minute crossing!). However, they will come out to one my workplaces on the mainland, but they are getting a high number of callouts here at the moment and quicker to visit the SC.

Given your usage of "boot" instead of "Trunk", I am going to guess you are in Europe somewhere, OP. I havent read anything about the factory power trunk (boot) having issues, but maybe you can get mobile service for that instead of having to drive to the service center?
Thanks, I did look at trying to go for a ranger call but I live on the UK's "South Island" (Isle of Wight) and the rangers won't travel here due to the high cost of ferries; over £100 sterling for a 40 minute crossing!). However, they will come out to one my workplaces on the mainland, but they are getting a high number of callouts here at the moment and quicker to visit the SC.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
thanks for replies everyone. Yes it is a UK model. The fault cleared this morning - strange as I'd taken no action other than booking a visit to the SC. As I mentioned there were no alerts logged. Could be an intermittent connection I guess? Not sure if there is an obstruction safety feature to stop tailgate hitting ceilings or similar that was confused? My old merc would stop if it detected movement as the boot (trunk) opened.

Have cancelled SC visit, but will update post if the saga continues.

With regard to previous issues: 2 were delivery defects with window and seals, one was a failed near side repeater camera, and latest was the BMS temperature sensor recall.
You can adjust the lift height of the boot. It's in the manual on how to do it.

Upvote 0
You can adjust the lift height of the boot. It's in the manual on how to do it.
Yes - I did try this but the boot still did not raise after closing, hence questioning if there was a calibration routine like for the windows. I did also try the 2-button reboot as well with no success. Still seems ok after 2 days now, but no the wiser for what caused it. My only hypothesis as to why it cleared up is that the car must go through a different self-test and reset after it's been in sleep mode, or it is an intermittent wiring fault that will resurface at some point. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OK so now a month on and still get the odd occasion when the tailgate lift fails to raise. So now going to get the car booked into the SC as it looks like either lift arm or the cabling involved has an intermittent fault and this is not a common problem people are seeing. Will update the post after this visit.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
How did it go, my 1 month old 2022 is doing this lately
Hi there - sorry to hear this... The SC replaced the power strut and I've had no problem since. The technician did say the strut was "noisy" compared to others, but can't say it was particularly noticeable. I would make sure you haven't accidentally set the lift height too low, otherwise it's a ranger or SC call.

Upvote 0
Hi there - sorry to hear this... The SC replaced the power strut and I've had no problem since. The technician did say the strut was "noisy" compared to others, but can't say it was particularly noticeable. I would make sure you haven't accidentally set the lift height too low, otherwise it's a ranger or SC call.
Thank you I have a mobile SC scheduled, but some digging & I am curious if its a "detected obstruction" issue. While there is no obstruction, this seems like it would cause this activity. So I am wondering if it thinks there is some kind of obstruction

Upvote 0