Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Current 3s

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
That's great, thanks.

To be honest I started watching this video thinking "guy who sells an aftermarket auto trunk lift and stands to lose money by saying a OEM retrofit is possible - I have a feeling I know what his conclusion is going to be....", but he laid it out clearly and without bias.

Would never have thought that the hinges would have been changed, and if there are looms/computer changes I think this makes it almost impossible that it'll be offered by Tesla.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Looking at the video, at around the 1:21 mark you can see how Tesla have routed the strut power wires. They go straight through a new hole (with grommet) they've made in the bulkhead. Is there any reason people don't replicate this when fitting these aftermarket kits? Seems like it would be a lot easier than taking off the bumper, and drilling a hole there?

is it simply a case of not wanting to drill new visible holes into the car for aftermarket parts?

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
For people that have installed an auto trunk (Hansshow or Tesla Offer I guess) on a 2019 on car... the TO website suggests that the recommended method (3 of 3) to run the strut wire through the blue grommet on the right hand side of the bumper, getting access to the wire through the panel underneath the car (which is also removed when fitting the foot sensor).

I'm having trouble visualising how that works.. do you run the left strut wire underneath the trunk seal on the left, and then behind the panel where the trunk LED is in? If you're behind the trim at that point why do you need to go inside the bumper and back inside the car again at all?

Can anyone who has done it that way give any pointers / images / videos? I haven't got the kit yet, but I'm trying to plan ahead and ideally want to avoid removing the bumper if I can help it - but I also want the cleanest install, and not risking water ingress going via the lights.

dingmah

May 4, 2019
Canada
For people that have installed an auto trunk (Hansshow or Tesla Offer I guess) on a 2019 on car... the TO website suggests that the recommended method (3 of 3) to run the strut wire through the blue grommet on the right hand side of the bumper, getting access to the wire through the panel underneath the car (which is also removed when fitting the foot sensor).

I'm having trouble visualising how that works.. do you run the left strut wire underneath the trunk seal on the left, and then behind the panel where the trunk LED is in? If you're behind the trim at that point why do you need to go inside the bumper and back inside the car again at all?

Can anyone who has done it that way give any pointers / images / videos? I haven't got the kit yet, but I'm trying to plan ahead and ideally want to avoid removing the bumper if I can help it - but I also want the cleanest install, and not risking water ingress going via the lights.
I would watch these two videos from Tesla Offer themselves showing how to install the electric trunk.
1)
2)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC