Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Current 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're doing the work of wiring up one of the struts (i.e. bumper off, or whatever) then you might as well do both of them.
My main issue is that there's a pretty significant amount of force required to close the trunk with the 3rd party struts vs OEM. I'm trying to determine if this could be minimized by pairing one 3rd party powered strut with the OEM strut (similar to how it's being done with the refresh), without compromising the car in any way.

Replacing them takes about 2 min per side so timing isn't a concern at all.

I have concerns about a single strut causing some racking. I'll be watching to see how this shakes out over time.

I used to design these systems and you almost always go with one actuator unless the mass and/or operating efforts dictate that you need something on the other side. Even then, it’s almost never a power actuator it’s typically a spring strut.

With that said, this makes the retrofit pretty straightforward. I’d have to see the vehicle to be sure (mine isn’t delivered yet) but there’s likely a ball stud on the hinge and one on the body. The actuator and the hinge w/ballstud could be ordered and installed pretty easily. The ballstud on the body could be the tricky part.

How about a powered frunk? I hate opening it because it means leaving two big hand prints on the hood.

Or at minimum, an automatic latch to do a 'soft' close so you don't have to push it by hand to close it.

We put a powered frunk kit in both of our Teslas for exactly that reason. Tesla Offer brand in the X and Hansshow in the 3. Honestly, because of how Tesla does the frunk release, once the kit is installed, it feels totally OEM. You can open and close from the app, the fob, and the screen. I 100% recommend either brand for the frunk.

I did the Hansshow trunk on the 3, and it doesn’t feel as cleanly integrated as the frunk. A lot that is because of how Tesla controls the trunk release, so it’s harder for 3rd party manufacturers to make it a seamless integration. Opening is fine, but once open, closing is a little trickier (you have to time it just right). Also, it doesn’t open up quite as far as the stock trunk, which I didn’t know before the installation.

Old article, but if Elon will offer a free power trunk upgrade to wheelchair users, I would imagine it would make sense to offer a power trunk as a paid upgrade to the rest of the Model 3 owners.

Elon Musk: Tesla to install power trunk for free after plea from wheelchair user - Electrek
There’s a PR element in that too though. I don’t doubt that Tesla can fit their powered kit to older cars, given enough time and motivation, the question is whether it’s profitable for them to do so as an official retrofit.

I don’t think SCs are short of work, and I wonder if people would baulk at the sort of prices I imagine it would cost ($500+ I’d guess)

I'm surprised no one has had inspected a crash damaged 2021 spec Model 3 by now to see what's involved in this.

I've had a mobile ranger out twice in the last few months for minor rectification work, and both times he has sworn blind that an official retrofit is incoming, based solely on the number of enquiries his SC has been getting. He hasn't said he's had training on it yet, but he seemed to suggest discussions were further along than simple idle speculation.

I'd definitely go for an OEM retrofit if it became available, simply because of the "OEM warrantied" aspect of it, regardless of how much "better" Hansshow/TeslaOffer is.

Reactions: anandoc