TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power Usage for charging your car in AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by gjunky, Dec 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

I am starting to plan for our Model X and as part of this, we installed solar at the house. We over-sized the installation to allow for the extra draw of the Tesla. We collected about 10 month's worth of usage numbers which is giving us a better idea of the actual overage we have. (we are still in the + after the summer months and didn't start until Feb)

Now my question is: How much will it actually take to keep the Tesla charged?

First a few assumptions:
    • Average number of miles per year of 12,000
    • 85kWh Battery (we'll have to see what will be available)

The reason I posted this question here is because of the unique heat issues while charging the car in the middle of a hot garage in the summer.

I am hoping someone installed a usage meter on their charger in the Phoenix area to get a better idea of the usage. My assumption is that numbers from other areas really don't give the right picture of charging in the heat. Did anyone install additional cooling / ventilation in their garage?

Thank you in advance for any information.

2. ron8853

ron8853 Member

gjunk

Monthly average for 12 month period ending 11/14 is 543kWh. 85 battery. 1500 mi/month.

Vehicle is charged only between 11PM and 5AM on APS "ev rate"...their term is "other peak"

3. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Thanks Ron.

Is this just the car or your entire house? If it is your entire house, how much was it before you had the Tesla?