TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Power Vs KWh

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by caps04, Oct 13, 2015.

1. caps04

caps04 Member

Aug 14, 2014
    NJ USA
    Sorry if this is a noob question but I was wondering what is the long term impact of the battery life on my car's performance specs.

Say if I lose 30% battery capacity after 6 years and 120,000 miles and my 85D becomes a 60D, does it also mean that my 0-60 in 4.2s becomes to 0-60 in 5s or more? I don't believe that'll happen but just wanted to be sure.
  2. Soolim

Soolim Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Regarding kW (power) versus kWh (energy) of MS, I think there would be some correlation between health of battery versus the motor kW output. This is gleaned from the P85D performance being battery SoC dependent. Non-performance MS is less limited by battery SoC for motor kW output, therefore I would not worry too much. I also hope you don't lose 30% battery capacity after 6 years and 120,000 miles.
  3. Zextraterrestrial

Mar 11, 2010
    Humboldt/Los Altos
    I am pretty sure that your battery will still be a 400V battery or very close to it at full charge and there will just be less total energy so you will still do 4.2s anywhere above 60% charge or wherever it drops off a little bit now
  4. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Oct 21, 2012
    So Cal
    Apparently the battery is still 400 V, but the voltage sag under high load is greater as a result of internal resistance increases in the cells. This equals less peak power. My car has seen 3 85 kWh packs over its lifetime. I can tell you that the peak power output varied pack to pack.