TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Power Vs KWh

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by caps04, Oct 13, 2015.

1. caps04

caps04 Member

Sorry if this is a noob question but I was wondering what is the long term impact of the battery life on my car's performance specs.

Say if I lose 30% battery capacity after 6 years and 120,000 miles and my 85D becomes a 60D, does it also mean that my 0-60 in 4.2s becomes to 0-60 in 5s or more? I don't believe that'll happen but just wanted to be sure.

2. Soolim

Soolim Member

Regarding kW (power) versus kWh (energy) of MS, I think there would be some correlation between health of battery versus the motor kW output. This is gleaned from the P85D performance being battery SoC dependent. Non-performance MS is less limited by battery SoC for motor kW output, therefore I would not worry too much. I also hope you don't lose 30% battery capacity after 6 years and 120,000 miles.

3. Zextraterrestrial

I am pretty sure that your battery will still be a 400V battery or very close to it at full charge and there will just be less total energy so you will still do 4.2s anywhere above 60% charge or wherever it drops off a little bit now

4. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Apparently the battery is still 400 V, but the voltage sag under high load is greater as a result of internal resistance increases in the cells. This equals less peak power. My car has seen 3 85 kWh packs over its lifetime. I can tell you that the peak power output varied pack to pack.