Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Wall availability in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
I know there’s an energy forum, but this is strictly a Canadian question.

My parents are looking into a generator and/or solar power system, and I’d like to get a Powerwall quote to throw into the mix. I just can’t get a straight answer about availability locally (Halifax Nova Scotia).

Does anyone here have numbers on Powerwalls, install, upkeep, whatever that I can use? Ideally I’m hoping for info from a utility rep I might be able to meet with next week, but I figured I’d see what can be found out from here.

I had a Powerwall 2 installed at my cottage near Parry Sound in 2018, along with 7.3kW of solar. The grid is pretty unreliable there, and we didn't want a noisy generator.

Our system is grid-tied, and in 2019 we generated 3600kWH of power, about 1/3 of our consumption. The payback calculations were 12 years, but for us it about more independence from the grid.

Cost for the PW2 installed was about $16K, including permits, meter swap, Tesla Energy Gateway, and taxes. The solar was an additional $25K. No upkeep so far. We monitor our system with the same app as for our cars, pretty addictive to watch the animated energy flow display.

No regrets, highly recommended.

I had a Powerwall 2 installed at my cottage near Parry Sound in 2018, along with 7.3kW of solar. The grid is pretty unreliable there, and we didn't want a noisy generator.

Our system is grid-tied, and in 2019 we generated 3600kWH of power, about 1/3 of our consumption. The payback calculations were 12 years, but for us it about more independence from the grid.

Cost for the PW2 installed was about $16K, including permits, meter swap, Tesla Energy Gateway, and taxes. The solar was an additional $25K. No upkeep so far. We monitor our system with the same app as for our cars, pretty addictive to watch the animated energy flow display.

No regrets, highly recommended.
Did you go through Tesla for it, local utility, or a local distributor?

I originally placed my reservation with Tesla back in Nov 2016. I was working with a local installer who in January of 2018 asked me to pay the full purchase price of the PW2 so the order could be placed with the distributor (MPOWER). Six months went by and still no PW2. I raised a stink, Tesla refunded my initial deposit, and in July after several phone calls with Telsa Energy in NJ I finally scored my PW2.

At the time, they severely restricted Powerwall production to make way for the Model 3. From what I hear, things are much more timely and easier now and PW2 production volumes have ramped up considerably.

My installer (Greenside Solar in Huntsville ON) was the first installer for the PW2 in Canada; they did a great job on my PW2 and solar.